1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Newspaper Ad... Please Comment!!!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Clapper&Company, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Ohio

I'm going to be running this ad in the local newspaper, it will reach about 80,000 people. It will be running in there "Spring " tab their doing.. Any ideas, comments on this??

Cost of Ad: $60.00

Attached Files:

2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good, I woulda just clean it up a little differently at the bottem

Professional Property Maintenance
    -Lawn Service- Landscape Design & Installation
    -New Lawns - Mulch - Bobcat Service - TopSoil
    -Weeding etc etc etc
  3. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

edit: nevermind
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I think overall looks pretty good. Like someone said the picture is a little blurry, but that may be how it is showing up on here. Is your ad color? Is it that big in size? I think for $60 to get in front of 80k that is a steal.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If i was you i'd just list 1 service. Belive me, if you list all that you will get alot of phone calls for the most ridcoulous things.

My add reads 'Affordable landscaping paver patios, walkways, retaining walls'

I get calls from everything from news lawns, to maintence, and even weeding. My add next month will only read 'RETAINING WALLS- ITS ALL WE DO!!!". The reason why i am changing it is because out of 3 jobs i got from my news paper add 2 of them were big walls. The other job was just a 1200 bs job. My add is in the service directory btw. This ad waste so much of my time with bad leads. Some how i do pull out a decent job. The ad runs for 5 weeks and i normally pull out 1 10k job from it. The wall i am now is from the paper. $6300. The people are having a barn build and need almost 8-9k in new walls. I'm just waiting on them to find out where their septic feild is to finalize the deal on that.

6. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

You dont need the brand of your mower in there....Matter of fact a picture of a nice landscape will be much better than a picture of a lawnmower. If you wanted your car painted, what would be better? A pic of a freshly painted car or a pic of a compressor and spray gun?

Put the main service that you are advertising on the top. Make it the main heading of the ad. Your company name is secondary.......A prosepective client is looking for "Lawnmowing" not YOUR company.......So Lawnmowing should be the eye catcher. List all your other services secondary, definately use the large phone number and again your company name should be the last thing. Just my opinion, but I always have great results with the ads that I design myself.
  7. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

Looks good but like ProCut said, i would use a picture of a nice landscape/lawn. Your current picture makes it look like you're selling lawnmowers and most could probably care less what kind of mower you run. Just my two cents.
  8. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Did you design the one that I just saw for Rockland? If so it looks great.
    Approx what did you spend for the front cover full page ad?

9. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Actually thats another Pro-Cut in rockland. We're in dutchess. Though I do get a lot of calls from them. We sold the lawn maintenance business last year with the exception of one route in a single neighborhood, so I dont advertise mowing anymore.....We do have ads running for our pavement maintenance business though.
  10. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I have a few questions:

1. In the area you are advertising, what work do you do most often for your customers, and what is their income level and spending habit (trying to keep up with the Jones or are they the Jones family)?

2. Will anybody else be advertising in the publication that answers question 1 or something similar to question 1?

3. If there will be other companies, can you get a copy of their ad from the paper, if so post it.

Other people might think this is too much work, but if you want a great return, you must start thinking outside the box. If you do not want to do anything that I am asking atleast use an actual headline that doesnt include your name!!!