1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Newspaper Ad?

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by APLUS LAWN CARE, Feb 23, 2012.

1. APLUS LAWN CARE

APLUS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from North Missouri

I have never ran a newspaper ad before. I have this ad made up and it just seems like it needs something more. It looks kinda bare to me. Am I missing anything? Should I add something else?

phppba78dPM.jpg

2. APLUS LAWN CARE

Here is a little bigger picture if you cant see that picture.

phpEQ1CL0PM.jpg

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

what does it cost to run?
    how big is the add?

4. APLUS LAWN CARE

It is not the actual size that I am going to run in the paper. I am not exactly sure of the cost. I have been in contact with the newspaper office but I have to get the ad to them before they can come up with a price.

5. Alluring Lawns

Alluring Lawns LawnSite Member

What are these newspapers you speak of? And where do I find them online?

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i have never had any luck with a paper

7. aaron79mowing

aaron79mowing LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Years in business if you've been around a while. Insured. You could also list some specific services you offer such as mowing, fertilization and weed control, etc

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

a newspaper ad has worked better for me than anything else. i just posted an ad in the classifieds. no pic. worked great for me.

9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

What size are you going to run? I have always ran what my paper considers an eighth of a page. 3.25" high x 4.75" wide. The only jobs I have gotten from them are one time work. When I am looking to pick up jobs like spring/ fall cleanups, hedge trimming, or mulching I run an ad for a few weeks. If you are looking to pick up maintenance accounts I would recommend either postcards or door hangers. If you do decide to go with the paper make sure to ask where in the paper your ad will be placed. I have always had better luck when my ad is placed closer to the front. If you don't ask, chances are you will end up towards the end or on a weird page that not as many people read.

10. rmslawns

rmslawns LawnSite Member

sometimes a paper will run a home and garden section insert around March or April. You could do a business card size ad or bigger depending on your budget. If you pick up one good account, it is worth it. If you cover a city, county or several towns, I would list that at the bottom below your number.