Newspaper Ads work!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Madstriper, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Just getting started "officially" this year.
    Saturday before last my ad came out in "Dial a Professional", $122. for 3 lines, for 30 days. I put company name, two local city names i prefer to work in ( Servicing Brandon/Pearl area) and my phone number.
    So far I have 7 weekly accounts, and three one time jobs, weeding large flower beds and mowing jobs. I have two more to bid tomorrow.
    I now know I bit too low on at least two of my accounts, because after the
    first mow, they came and and told me so, and said they were paying me $10 more. You can say what you want to about not letting the customer decide the price, but I dont mind it in these two instances. Four of my new customers asked for cards, want to help me get more business!!!!!!

If things keep going like this, I will have to go full time by June, and get to quit my Home Cheapo job. It will be tough to quit though, its nice to know I will have a check every week. I do plan on bidding more carefully from now on.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to hear it worked well for you. My expirience with newspaper ads has been so so. In my expirience, they have only been ok. If you open up our local paper and look at the service directory there are about 20 ads for lawn and landscape service.

3. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

Good Job! I think newspapers are the way to go. Many people look at them for this type of work. Just be careful which paper you advertise with. I mostly advertise in the Pennysaver in my area and guess what kind of customers they are..Penny savers, the cheapest people who will drop you in a second if someone cheaper comes along.

5. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

That right there is what you call quality customers!

Treat them good and they will continue to treat you good. It's not every day you will find a homeowner with the heart to say.. you know you really deserve $xx.xx for your time/work. Most people would take it for what it's worth and not bother telling you.

Your ad sounds like it's getting a good response. Wish everywhere was like that.

Good luck!
    All Clear

6. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

With customers like this, I know I am getting paid well and will always go extra mile (or half mile) to make sure they are satisfied. My ad is in the largest paper in the metro area, and there are at least 20 other LCO's.
    I have also had 4 different guys calling wanting to work for me.
    A couple of the customers told me that they chose to call me because I listed their cities name in my ad, so they felt I was somewhat local.

I also learned from here ( Lawnsite ) about bidding to make money. If you bid correctly, know you are getting paid well for the job you are doing, you will go the extra mile, not get burned out as quickly, and just enjoy your work more. So I bid a job weeding flower beds, got the job, took a co-worker from my dayjob to help. I was getting $22 a man hour, paying my helper $15 an hour. So being bent over all morning pulling weeds in the record breaking heat and humidity didnt phase me knowing I was making $29 an hour!!!!!!
    Does this rate sound fair to everyone else? Just a hoe and gloves, pulling weeds and throwing them on the ground, customer wanted to pick them up, just wanted us to do the bending/pulling for her. She is 70 years old and stayed out with us most of the time. We quit around noon, so she wouldnt overwork herself. This is her yard, takes pride in it, and just wanted help getting it in shape. She said the weeds were brought to her yard by Hurricane Katrina! She never had this weed before. Any thoughts on this?

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I keep trying to tell the guys, paid advertising beats word of mouth 10x.

Glad to hear things are going swell, best of luck!

//////////////////////////

On the weeds... Yeah, I've cultivated them before too, lol.
    That is, until I did some research and learned what cultivating weeds means, then I learned some more :)

8. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya.. My first bid was $25, they lady said "oh no" and I was thinking "that's not a really high price!" I was pretty relieved when she said "I'll pay you $40 cause that's what I've been paying." :hammerhead: