Newspaper ads

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnsaspire, Feb 22, 2009.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Do newspaper ads work for anyone?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

It really depends on how big of a town you live in. Around here newspaper ads work very well but I have heard from several people on here that are in larger cities that said they don't work at all. The same can be said for yellow pages. Smaller communities tend to get much better responses with newspaper and yellow pages and larger cities do better with web pages and internet advertising.

3. Ultimate-Lawn-Care

Ultimate-Lawn-Care LawnSite Member
    from Okie

Wondering the same thing myself! Thanks!

4. rnd

rnd LawnSite Member

Classifieds fine, display ads no. Go to RNDSIGNS.COM to see hundreds of advertising ideas from green industry companies from all over the U.S.Request a FREE marketing handbook. See layout ideas, photography and online pricing.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

seems like in the larger markets you really have to stand out,

may wanna use colored ink

6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I have run ads in two different local papers, I have gotten enough work from them to make it worthwhile to place the ads, but it is not the best way imo, word of moth is the unchallenged #1 advertisment there is

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Word of mouth advertising only works once you have an established business thats been doing quality work and been around for awhile. New businesses need to advertise to gain customers

8. grincon

grincon LawnSite Member

I run an ad year round in local paper and it seems to do ok. Word of mouth, even better. One new account pays for a year of advertising.

9. elite lawns

elite lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Ad seem to work good here in a small town

10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Use a nice professionaly designed open house sign at the entrance of a neighbor hood followed by a well designed door hanger. It gets their attention. People always want to know whats going on.