Newspaper advertising good?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ubirajara83, Dec 17, 2006.

1. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

Looking to advertise in the newspaper can anyone give me a feedback about their past experience. I dont even know what i would put in the article. Some examples would be nice. Thanks guys for the help much appreciated.

2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

customers who get lawn service from the newspaper are typically looking for "something for nothing". They are the cheapest of cheapest people, even if you get a call for a job in a nice neighborhood.

You will definately get calls, however you might not see the cash that you are looking for....

3. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer to advertise in the Newspaper then handing out flyers. Around here we have local newspaper for certain areas and neighborhoods that I run an add in and its worked well for me.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

It seems like no matter what the advertising method...someone will say that only the cheapskates will call you. This may be true..to a point. So what would you recommend? Flyers? Yeah, I'm going to walk door to door to pass out 30,000 flyers. Everyone says word of mouth is best and it's free. Well, I agree...BUT...you have to get soome customers first before anyone will start talking to others about you. I say try various methods and keep track of responses...then weed out the methods that don't work and use the one's that work....in your area.....for the customers you are after.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, you will get the cheapskates no matter WHAT kind of advertising you do', but I have to disagree on getting only cheapskates. Personally, I think the newspaper is an EXCELLENT way to advertise. As a matter of fact, that's how I got my start...a jumpstart. We got some EXCELLENT customers right off the bat. You reach people who are generally in your area (unlike yellow pages, that get you people that are WAY out, and where or how else are you going to reach 10's of thousands of people for such a low price? It works, and it works well.

6. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with this. What may work in one area of the country may not work in others and with each form of advertising you do you are putting your name out there for people to see.Try them all and see what works and go with that

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I advertise in our local paper 3 times a year, in spring for mowing, summer for shrubs and in fall for cleanups. I recieve alot of calls each time some good and some not so good, just choose the ones I want and that will pay what I'm asking.