Newspaper Inserts: Doorhangers or Flyers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by TNLC owners, Mar 6, 2008.

1. TNLC owners

TNLC owners LawnSite Member

I am considering using my local newspaper to distribute some of my marketing material this spring. They have a minimum of 4,000 pieces and charge $112, which doesn't include printing. I am trying to decide which advertising vehicle would be more effective, a flyer or a doorhanger. I can get 5,000 of each for the same price through, so there is little price difference. In your opinion, which would you use and why? At this point, I'm leaning towards the doorhangers because I will still have 1,000 left over that I can distribute in more segmented areas of town. I'm thinking that this would be easier with a doorhanger rather than a flyer simply because they would stay on the door better.
    Also, what have your experiences been with They seem to have a pretty good offer, but I wonder what their quality is like? Thanks!
  2. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

since you will have leftovers i would go with the hanger because it looks more professional, u can use the extras, and it will be different getting a hanger in the paper instead of a flyer. just my 2 cents
  3. CrownlawnCare

CrownlawnCare LawnSite Member

I would do a little of each. Then ask people when they call where they heard about you. This way you can allocate a larger budget to that item. Fliers, door hangers and such work different in different parts of the country.
  4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a fair comparison:

Newspaper Insert = Printed Referral Medium
    Doorhangers = Direct Distributed Medium
    Flyers = (depends on distribution) Printed Direct Medium

To compare doorhangers and flyers. Doorhangers are about .50% more effective and about .25% more expensive to distribute.
  5. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I have newspaper inserts going out the next two Sundays in the same zip code. I haven't tried this before and am hoping for good results. I used full color on 80# gloss text. Printing for my flyers was a little more than my door hangers. The door hangers will take me days to distribute and the flyers a morning (which I won't have to do). In the end they both cost about the same.
  6. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Id go doorhanger.

For the most part inserts wont even get looked at.

Flyers are ok but if you really want a professional look it will cost a lot.

Doorhangers on the other hand have to be touched and looked at. I think you would get a better response.
  7. newtostone

newtostone LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Can i ask where you got your flyers printed, Online? I m looking at doing the inserts for a local paper in my service areas. At $65 per thousand i think its a better deal than going door to door. I guess we will have to see. If anyone has done news paper inserts please share your results. thanks!
  8. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I had them printed locally. The 5300 copies weighed almost 90 pounds which made any online options just as expensive.