Newspaper pricing.......here we go again

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Meadowbrook, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, got a quick question about......the dreaded word.....marketing. Not too bad this time though.

I would like to put an ad in a newspaper to potential clients for next year. I talked to the ad consultant the other day and she gave me a few rough prices on ads. I wanted to get an ad as big as my insurance 'friend' (yes, there's tension between us) but the price the consultant gave me kinda shocked me. She said his 1/4 page ad for 1 week ran $318.00......$318.00?!?!? Somehow that doesn't seem quite right. My real question is, can you dicker with these people on their prices? I'm looking to get it for....uh, well, less than $318.00, to put it bluntly. Any suggestions? Don't let me down guys.... :cool2:

Chris

2. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

$318 for a quarter page ad for a week? That sounds like a bargain to me. I run small ads in our paper's business directory. Basically nothing more than the size of a help wanted ad. Depending on the lenght, I've paid anywhere from $120-$210 for a 30 day run.

3. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

the only way to compare apples to apples is by your respective newspapers circulation. unless the newspaper you are in covers more than just dover, you're probably better off delivering flyers to the 1,815 people that comprise the town. canton itself, on the other hand, has 80,806 and would reflect why mustang thinks the $318 is a bargain.

if i'm correct on those, and it looks that dover is far enough away from york, then the $318 more expensive than it's probably worth. at least if you do the flyer route prospective leads will have to touch your ad. ask the salesperson the cost for a flyer insert. i run flyer inserts in one of our suburban papers (6,500 circulation) for $325, plus flyer cost ($240ish).

edit: wooops... just re-checked and i'll guess that york is part of your coverage and has 40,000 people.

york = 16,000 households
    dover = 770 households
    canton - 32,000 households

tony

4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

You bring up a very good point. The price you pay for newspaper advertising is going to be directly related to the size of your community and the circulation numbers of the newspaper. Even at the prices I pay here, they are a bargain compared to a help wanted I ran years ago in the Columbus Dispatch (at least I think that is the paper's name). 1 week ran me about $200.

5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

the dayton daily news is fairly expensive for any standard business classifieds, such as help wanted.

speaking of help wanted, dependent upon your hiring practices, and candidate quality you seek, whenever i place an ad and receive calls i always start off with "would you be able to pass a criminal background investigation?". it's amazing how many people say no or just hang-up. a great qualifier to avoid wasting my time.

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

i like that one tony :p

7. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

I forgot to add that the paper....the York Community Courier runs once a week. it hits quite a few households, like West York, York, Dover, etc. etc. but I think what really shocked me the most was the part that I left out, the once-a-week thing really gets me. I dunno, do you guys think that I can get a lower price? Dear God, I hope so........ :help:

Chris