1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

newspaper service directory

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by willretire@40, Nov 28, 2005.

1. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Just like to know DOES IT WORK! if so what kind of response does it get. Our newspaper goes out to about 400,000 homes a day.
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used the service directory in our local paper a few times. I might get 1-2 calls each week my add runs.
  3. sicklid

sicklid LawnSite Member

I got great response from my ad. Of course you'll never know till you try:D
  4. lafrance4078

lafrance4078 LawnSite Member

I have been watching our local. It seems like just about every Joe with a mower is advertising in it. I am going to try it, but I will really have to work on the add wording so that it will stand out. Not sure when I will do it, But I will let you know.
  5. sicklid

sicklid LawnSite Member

To make mine stand out I did white text on a black background as apposed to black on white (standard) cost alot more but I got alot of work from it.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We've tried the service directory in past years. During prime season (March, April, May) i'd say the ads were at their highest at around 27 different lawn companies. No, we did not get many calls from it. Very hard to differeniate ourselves and make us stand out when so many others were advertising almost the same thing. We no longer advertise in the service directory.
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our CPA. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi willretire@40,

I think in the past when this has come up, quite a few LCO's said they got many price shopping calls and not too many sales. But as others have said, you never know until you try.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>