1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turkp15, Jul 10, 2003.

1. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

Whats up guys
    I was just sitting at home thinking of what I could do to advertise and get some more accounts. I've been hearing people say that they're not having a good response off of newspaper ads. So I have a friend that delivers newspaper and I came up with the idea to put a copy of my flyer in the sunday paper this should give me a better chance of people seeing it and i will be able to target certain areas.

I want some input on this idea?

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Sounds sweet.
  3. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

I wonder about the legality fo something like this. The way you worded it sounded like to me tha you were going to give your buddy a bunch of fliers and have him throw them in. Im just wondering if you would get in trouble with the paper company for using their paper as a form of advertising and they get paid nothing? correct me if im wrong and if i am ill start printing fliers :D lol

4. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

I don't know if its legal, but I know that on Sunday about 6p.m. he goes back out and collects the papers from the boxes so that he can send them back to the paper company. So all I would have to do is take out my flyer from the ones that are going back.
  5. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Thats definitely not the most legal thing to do :rolleyes: lol
  6. JDOG

JDOG LawnSite Member

do it
  7. colonel landscaping

colonel landscaping LawnSite Member

i used to deliver 500+ daily papers for the day and i have put flyers with the paper.. i put them on the outside and the elastic over the flyer and paper.. you shouldnt put the flyer inside because if the paper company finds out you/your friend and in quite a bit of trouble
  8. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What are the chances of getting caught? slim to none. I'd say keep the ad outside of the paper, then the recipient wouldn't know if it came with the paper or not.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Do it the damn legal and upfront way. Duh. Most newspapers have the ability to do that for you. You can target certain areas to have your flyer put in. Its usually not that expensive either. CALL THE NEWSPAPER!!!:angry:
  10. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I've done that too. The thing i found that is more effective is to walk the neighborhoods and put them in the front door. it is legal and sometimes you bump into the homeowner and then you can introduce yourself and get a foot in the door. compliment them on their lawn, be friendly, dress presentable. yea, it's more work and can get boring, but it will pay off. trust me.