Next big innovation in mowing equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Feb 9, 2004.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I know mowers have changed a LOT in the last 13 years. Front mount hydrostatic riders, mid mount ZTRs, hydro walk behinds, T bar, loop handle, and H bar type steering systems. Mulching decks that actually work. It's come a long way.

What do you think will be the next big innovation to come out that will make our jobs easier?

Some ideas may already be out but not fine-tuned enough to work well. (convertible wb/riders).

Others may be currently considered unworkable by engineers (like mower decks with baffles that can be changed from mulching to discharge quickly and w/o tools) but will turn out to have been possible with some creative thinking.

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

What I want to see is a hydostatic 36in W/B that mulches and bags on top[not on side so I can trim on either side or run though a gate] that has variable mulching controls so it bags more when wet or long and mulches more otherwise. I want a electric contol from the hanlebar so I can control the variable mulching on the fly. It could have a relatively small bag since the bag is only assisting the mulch operation.

3. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

I am thinking that Ferris and their spring set up is gonna be the next big thing. Maybe not exactly like their's but definately suspension is on the way.

4. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to have a deck that I can adjust where the side discharge comes out at. Sometime I might be trying to blow leaves or something with the walkbehind into a natural area and I have to do so while pulling the mower backwards. It would be real neat it I had a button to press and a little shield came up on one side and opened up on the other side to change where the grass came out at. I think this would take a lot of things though, and don't even know if it would be possible.

5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Not a mower thing, but how about a backback blower with a slightly bigger engine with a tube on both sides so that you could have a tube in both hands. I dont know if it would work, but it seems like it would be good for large areas, or leaf cleanups.

6. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnman_scott, that would be a good idea if they could make it light enough not to hurt your back. Also, thats what a push blower is for I guess. I think it would be cool though to have that feature just for driveways and stuff though.

7. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I would like to make a deck 8" Deep, Have 2 blades (gators).Bottom blade 1" from bottom of deck and Top blade 3" from bottom of deck. Experiment with amount of space between blades until discharge of clippings was ideal for conditions.
    Blade tip speed 16,500-18,000 and 0.4 horsepower per inch of mower width. Someone should consider trying this. Mabey FrankenScag could play with the idea? Could try this with a scag and some spacers. Used doubles for years but after reading this topic it just popped into my head......why not space the doubles?

Pete D.