Next Door Neighbor Won't Pay Up - What Gives?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hannah Lawn Service, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Hannah Lawn Service

Hannah Lawn Service LawnSite Member
    from Jax. Fl

I mowed twice for my next door neighbor at a discount rate of 25 each cut. After 3 weeks he finally cuts me a check for 50. To my surprise it bounced! I told him I have an NSF check at my house and that it cost me a 5 dollar fee, so I need 55.00 bucks. He says "Oh sorry, I'll come over after my wife gets back from the store." That was almost a month ago :cry:

What should I do? Write an official letter to him? This one is harder to handle because I see the customer so often. I don't want to make my home life stressful. What would you all do? Drop it or pursue it like a regular account? I hate to think that not only did I not profit on 2 cuts but lost expenses and that 5.00 fee. Can I take the NSF check to his bank and try to collect payment if it is available now?

My advice to all - go at least out of eye shot of your home when selecting new customers!

2. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

No good dead goes unpunished.

Have neither of you discussed it when you've seen each other during the past month? I would just keep mentioning it in a friendly way but be sure they get tired of being reminded. :)

3. RKISTNER1

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Many threads here say"STAY AWAY FROM CUTTING NEIGHBORS & FAMILY!"

4. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

REMIND HIM REGULARLY, IN FRONT OF OTHER NEIGHBORS IF POSSIBLE. DOES HE DUCK YOU ?DO YOU HAVE A DIESEL TRUCK ? IF YOU DO SPEND A BUCK OR SO IN FUEL AND LET THE TRUCK IDLE NEAR HIS PLACE.......WHEN HE COMES OUT TO GIVE YOU A LECTURE ON BEING A GOOD NEIGHBOR........TURN IT AROUND ON HIM BY SAYING.....WELL NEIGHBOR WHERES MY MONEY YOU OWE ME ?PAY UP OR SHUT UP TIME payup

5. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I used to cut my neighbors lawn without her asking every once in awhile when I mowed mine. She was always thrilled to come home and find her grass cut and that was enough payment for me. It wasn't a very big yard. She would always offer to pay but I would refuse. Just being a good neighbor. She now has another lawn service doing it on a regular basis. I'm glad because I wouldn't do it as a regular account. Business transactions never seem to work out with friends, neighbors and relatives.

6. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Somehow it does seem to spoil the relationship

7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

You can present the check at his bank as often as you like without the fees if its bad. then if you can get the face value of the check your only out the 5 not the 50. Hope you learned your lesson on this one.

8. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

Frankly he thinks you are a shmuck. He has no respect for your business. He just sees you as the guy next door. You aren't a pressing need for him.

This will only end ugly either for you or him. I bet you will give up and let it go. And if you do, you will be an even bigger shmuck to him. He will come to you in a few weeks and ask for more work, you will quote a "discounted" price and do the work and he wont pay again.

You need to beat on his door everyday, since he is next door. Be a real pain in his butt and show him who is boss. Mail him a certified letter with a bill and a late notice and fee attached, in fact mail it to his wife.

9. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

The Dude
    I agree you need to keep after him untill he pays you...you did the work now its time to collect. payup

10. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

I normally resist the urge to point out the horrific spelling and punctuation that is so frequent on the Lawnsite Forums, but that's too funny. :D