NEXT LEVEL

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Jun 10, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I was in my zone today with weedwacker in hand and began to think about all the hits Phil got on the cruise for Chuck. I think Chuck deserves the cruise so please don't misunderstand what I'm about to say, if Phil can get a response like that for Chuck, what else, where else could this forum lead to. I won't say I've given it any in depth studies or anything but some of the ideas that came to mind today were support for the new guys, not just on the internet support, I mean one on one, legal support if need be, accounting support, all by Lawnsite members that have the same vested interest in the Green Industry. As I said, I haven't given it much more time than I'm giving it right now but with almost 1000 members now, some which don't even contribute but do peek in from time to time we could have ample support in a few short months. What about a guy about to take his pesticide exam using an experienced applicator as a tutor, working together to ensure the rookie passes the test and beyond that making sure he doesn't screw up once he gets going. How about a training session on irrigation repair or even installation? <p>We have Phil, Bill and several experienced operators in mowing, landscape design, installation.........a wealth of knowledge. If you join the PLCAA you get a newsletter and pay them for what, to be a member? I'm not saying thats a bad thing but it doesn't fill that niche that seems to be getting filled here, when we ain't fighting! We can all be considered a consultant and help each other out State by State, region by region, sorry Karl, even country by country. You could head up the Australian end of it! Everybody has their own methods of operation but 1000 and growing, where can it go from here? Once a year we can have our own convention, or regional conventions, in a few years maybe all the talk of being on the &quot;same page&quot; could become reality, it is possible. Just something to consider. Back to the idea of raising money for Chuck, there is no reason we couldn't do the same thing to fund all of the above, maybe even a Lawnsite magazine dealing specifically with the issues we discuss and hash out on here........the mind keeps going into the deeper waters, need to quit while I'm ahead and let ya'll voice your opinions now!<p>Homer

2. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Homer, Great ideas. Chuck mentioned setting up a user profile by zip code for potential customers looking for maintenance. We'd pay 50 bucks to be listed. I've been thinking if that idea takes off, I might make up some www.lawnsite.com stickers for my truck and trailer. Who knows what can happen. Like you mentioned we have almost 1000 members now. The sky is the limit. There are so many talented and knowledgeable people here. I think you're on to something.

3. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Homer, I agree 100%. Would be good to educate<br>the new guys in the industry,to reduce the <br>number of &quot;cowboy&quot; operators.It would help<br>promote proffesionalism. Perhaps if this<br>site could be tied in with the PLCAA or<br>whatever,it could work well.Not too many<br>other Aussies here,but I'm working on it.<p>Karl<br>

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Why not find a health insurance provider who would want a shot of a potential 1000 Lawn care providers. Maybe give us a group rate.

5. NeilG

NeilG LawnSite Member

Homer, it must really be hot and dry down there, for you to have all that Brainstorming time. But, you do have some great ideas.<br>Charles has hit on something also. Health Insurance cost me over $6K a year, and I just had a 25 o/o increase. It takes alot of lawns to cover that kind of overhead.

6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Count me in on this from top to bottom. All you really had to say was &quot;health insurance&quot; and my wallet started to hurt all over again. My rates were recently reviewed and BC decided not to increase them; but instead reduced our coverage... :(<p>-TGC

7. Charles

Got an idea. Turn this into a pay membership site. Nothing big. 5 to 10 a month. Part of the money goes to Chuck. Part of the money goes to a health insurance group plan. Part of the money goes to the posters. To qualify for the money(lets say .50 to a 1.00 per post). The post must be lawn care related. Yep Homer and I do have alot of time on our hands with this drought going on lol.

8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Great ideas gentleman!

9. Charles

Let me add to my last reply. Their is a pay web site that charges 15$ per year. He announce that he had over 400,000 members. Thats $6,000,000 per year! Their are 1000s of contractors out their who do not know about this site. Of course you might have to add naked pics to get them here:). Just kidding their is power and influence in numbers. We could become the next arrp. i think insted of a vacation that Chuck would rather have a greater monthly income and a vacation. And we could all benefit in some way. Insurance, learning and post paying etc. This is like Homers another thought. I think the vacation for starter and with it the promo is a great Idea. Chuck could take some of them money he earns and run advertisements of this site in the lawns sections of newspapers around the country. You could also set a limit on the number of post contributors could make money off of. I think Phil had the idea of making this a pay site awhile back. But i am sure The administrator as thought of all the angles too<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Charles

10. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

Years ago I thought about traveling to the warmer states when it was cold in NJ to see what other guys were doing in the business, and to check out the market accrossed the country. This site makes it all a reality everyday. Like I said in one post after 13 years I'm still learning. This forum helps to bring people up to a standard. Something we tend to lack in our business. I believe we should have a standard for pricing to keep people from under bidding by so much. And also to keep people from comparing a really low bid to yours. Just the other day a priced pruning some shurbs at about $160.00<br>The other guy priced it at $80.00. I've seen guys put down mulch with no edge the list goes on. This site will give the new guy and the old school guy some hope. As far as the insurance thing you have my vote New Jersey is one of the highest.