Next Major Repair Project

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Feb 3, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Starting a major repair project on a high school system that is only 3 years old. Many leaking valves (MA's instead of SCH 80 nipples) wrong boxes put in, etc. Here's a few pictures of what we'll have to straighten out.

EDHS SRTS #8640 IV-003a.jpg

EDHS SRTS #8640 IV-004a.jpg

EDHS SRTS #8640 IV-007a.jpg

EDHS SRTS #8640 IV-016a.jpg

EDHS SRTS #8640 IV-012a.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Holy crap....

I've never seen that many boxes busted like that...Vandalism?

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you.

3. PurpHaze

We replaced 20 lids and 10 standard rectangle boxes today not counting a lateral line repair, replacing effing round plastic boxes with Christy F-8 (for gate valves) or G-5 (for resilient-wedge valves) boxes for isolation valves as our specs have always required. Lids are a combination of vandalism and mower damage and both they and their boxes are the cheapest crap around. The fun really starts Monday when we start replacing leaking valves. Every valve on this site was put together with effing male adapters instead of SCH 80 nipples as required. We'll probably replace every valve at each leaking manifolded area so we don't have to go back in next year and replace more effing leakers. Guess this is what you get when no one watches the effing contractor. And to think the district wants a 37 million dollar bond passed in June. :mad:

And to think that this is only the athletic fields. We'll be moving inside and in front of the school after the fields are up to snuff. :cry:

We also filled in 4-5 holes where trees didn't make it and all that's left are tiger traps. I tripped in a tree bubbler open 4" pipe and took a bad fall today all the way to the ground. My back and left knee are screaming when my pain pill wears off. Oh... did I say effing contractor yet? :mad:

4. PurpHaze

Here's one of the "repairs" we did today and is in a high student traffic area because everyone cuts the corner. Fortunately our good lids snap down tight into the cheap a$$ black rectangle boxes as long as the inner lip is still in good shape. The original lids are those type that fit over the box opening like in the earlier pictures. These lids won't get sucked up by a mower now.

That was the easy part. The round Christy box was installed over an isolation gate valve that had a black round box with the lid missing. The round box had also succumbed to soil pressure and was actually oval shaped. No way cheap round lids are going to stay on these boxes. Bad part was that the guys who installed the original system used the old 2x4 method to try and keep the box from settling. Had to dig a big-a$$ hole to get the 2' long 2x4s out so the Christy box could set level with the ground. :eek:

EDHS SRTS #8640 IV-016b.jpg

5. PurpHaze

BTW... discovered another 9 problem areas so this brings it up to 29. Not bad for one freaking work order. These problems have been going on since the school opened and work orders weren't being put in by the grounds staff. Good thing someone didn't break their leg or worse. :nono:

6. PurpHaze

Anyone know what brand of valve boxes these are? They are VERY rubbery and are different than the black ones we've been running into on this site. As you can see they collapsed in and broke due to soil/mower pressure.

EDHS SRTS #8640 IV-015b.jpg

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

How old are they? Never thought about mower suction. Something that Ametek covers wouldn't be bothered by.

8. PurpHaze

Hard to tell how old they are but I'm assuming they were originally put in when the school was done about 4-5 years ago. I'll also assume that the contractor ran out of the black boxes they were putting in and used these in this area.

RE mower suction: Gotta agree on the Ametek (or Ametek style) box lids as being superior and stronger. Unless something happens to the tabs on the ends they pretty much stay in place. We use lid pullers to pop them out because they stay in so well. And regardless what brand of box they are we do not install round plastic boxes on our sites. The lids are too susceptible to bounce and mower suction when run over. I just had 20 more round Christy boxes delivered to the shop because my intent is to replace as many round plastic boxes as possible so they don't become a problem in the future.

An afterthought: The area these boxes were in was a fairly depressed area. I ended up using the old boxes as sleeves and installed the new ones over them approximately 6" higher.

9. PurpHaze

I know these pics don't have anything to do with irrigation but I thought they were kinda funny. These come from the same HS site where we're doing the major repair work. They installed drain inlets in strategic places throughout the athletic fields and graded (another story) the fields to shed extra water. Now... You gotta remember I (and Tom) live in basically a semi-arid region but they wanted to shed excess water off the fields. So they put the fields in and place the drains where the specs called for. Then athletic facilities and fields were put in. BUT WAIT A MINUTE.... Things changed from the original plans and designated field areas were switched all around. Didn't matter that irrigation and drains were put in place based on the original configurations.

Picture #1: Soccer field with drain. Solution... put a rubber mat over it so players don't get hurt. You should see what the shot on goal from this depression looks like. :rolleyes:

EDHS Drains IV-01.jpg

10. PurpHaze

Picture #2: Let's put a softball field where there's a drain. :p

EDHS Drains IV-02.jpg