1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

next mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by smarino21, Jan 27, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

i currently have a 48 scag rider, i am growing this year and am going to possibly need another mower. What mower is best. I cut jobs that take about 20 mins with 2 men 1 mower 1 trimmer. Another thing is how many hours do you figure one crew to work a week I am not sure to base it on reg 40 hrs or like 60 hrs. To peep with 2 or more crew when did you make the decision to go to a second crew?
  2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out the Ferris 1500---- at www.ferrisindustries.com

I use it and mow about 30 small lots with it. It does very well, and the lots take about 10-15 minutes to buzz through, not including the trim work.

The Ferris is bullet proof so far.

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Were you looking for a Z or a walkbehind? About the same width, 48"? You may want to look at a 52" Wright Stander or some other 52" Z, like a Lazer HP. How do you like your Scag? Maybe look at getting another one?
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

stop playing with toys and get a toro
  5. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

This is a question only you can answer about your choice of mower-
    1-Do you have alot of gated yards where a 34z or a 36 walk would be more profitable?
    2-Do you have larger areas where a 60" or bigger would be more profitable?
    One thing I would not do is buy another 48" since you already have one.

During the summer we work 50-60 hrs week-whatever it takes to get the jobs done.