Next Season..New Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kid With A Mower, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a walk behind for next season. I like the ECS feature of the Exmarks, so I was looking at the Viking 15/48". Or maybe the Scag 48" SWZ. Are hydro's better then gear drives? Any opinions on these or other machines? Thanks.

2. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay cash and test them to see which one feels better to you .

3. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Get the viking I have the one you are looking at I love it. It has plenty of power, its fast, and i havent had one problem with it yet!! Id look around for used ones or try the dealers this fall and they will have good deals on used or new. I got mine for 1800 with 300 hours on it (and it was only a 1 1/2 years old)

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Demo both machines and see which you like better. Also, which brand has better dealer support in your area. Both Exmark and Scag are good machines so you can't go wrong with either.

Hydro's are nicer then belt drives IMO. I have one of each and can't wait to replace my belt drive mower with a hydro.

5. Kid With A Mower

Thanks Matt, I've only heard good things about the Viking, I'll keep looking around for a used one. J&R, I have a few different dealers not far from me that sells all of the brands.

6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Hydros blow belt drives out of the water. I've got 2 Turf Tracers which are similar to the Viking(except they have floating decks) and they're awesome.

7. CrimsonLCS

CrimsonLCS LawnSite Member

Dont get a viking, they are way to expensive and its not a floating deck. I baught one not realizing there was the turf tracers.. :( Get a turf tracer they are awsome. You will want the floating deck. trust me hands down a good machine.

8. Kid With A Mower

So the Turf-Tracer hp is what I should look for?

9. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, or the regular Turf Tracer(which is the higher end model) comes in a 52" or 60" as well. It comes with an electric PTO and cannister air filtration versus the manual PTO and standard air filter on the HP.

10. CrimsonLCS

CrimsonLCS LawnSite Member

Ya i got the turf tracer hp 52 inch deck with a 19 hp kawasaki engine on it. :) i love it