next step is...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcwlandscaping, Dec 17, 2005.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ive sent out a bill to about 5 of my clients who have outstanding dues left, from 75 to 250 dollars. Its been about a week and a half. If i don't get a check within the next few days, what do i do next? send another bill, call them, what? and if i should call them what am i suppose to say to be pollite and also show that i need the money. Thanks

Michael

2. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the same boat. I have about 9 customers left who haven't send a check yet. Over 3,500 dollars in all. I have a feeling I will have to take at least 1 or maybe even 2 to small claims court. I just have a hard time figuring some people out. I know there are a few guys on this site that are in the same situation. payup

3. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Yea me too I only have one that still owes me, from before the first snowfall which was about 3 weeks ago. I hate these people they can't just pay you on time I always have to ring this guys bell, he lives right down the street, and then he usually sends payment but why do I need to do this?

4. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

Go to the door, don't leave until the account is paid in full....I had a customer tell me he was out of cash, I told him to get his shoes on-we were going to the ATM....I got paid plus gas...extreme case but most people don't want to see you face to face. You don't have to start off by being rude but you have to take care of yourself...

5. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

i would send a certified late notice and follow that with a call to recieve payment. If that doesn't work another letter saying if you don't get paid in 3 days-----COURT---- will be the next option. I got 4 people to pay that way and i only have to bring 2 to court. They usually pay once they get that letter. Add a late fee too, for all your time.

6. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to say it but it all part of the game. A few options are call, and request you come by and get payment. Second, add late fee"s. Third the best thing to do for residental is get a payment every week. We have well over 130 residenal account and we get checks from about 85 percent every week. Commercial we do bill monthly, and residental who are full service get billed monthly.

7. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Can you take someone to court if their not under contract?

8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Dude call them!!!

If they are late one day I call them, usually they just forgot and tell me to come pick it up right away, or if I can wait they will mail it out later in the day.

But for the ones who dont pay, just call them every day if need be and make sure they pay you. If they dont answer your call, leave a threatening voice mail, or certified mail letter. Usually something with the indication of small claims court or a lein will be enough to scare them.

9. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

In the Business form there is a old thread about olddebts.com. I just used it about a week ago. No results yet but I'm still hopefull. I opted for the 4 letter collection and for them to put a mark on their credit report if not paid.

10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, I have done this before, and won. It helps if you have some proof of the customer/contractor relationship, such as prior payment stubs, records of phonecalls, etc.

Keep in mind a lot of Small Claims cases don't involve contracts, cases like "my friend borrowed my TV, won't give it back, now claims it's his..."