Next years crabgrass plan?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GrazerZ, Oct 25, 2006.

1. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys i'm in the process of reevaluating my crabgrass control options for 2007. I'm currently trying to figure if I will switch products. I have been using 19-0-6 with .10% dimension on the transition rate for years now and am just not very happy with the control I get with it. What is your opinion of the following products based on your experience in using them?

Dimension .10% 19-0-7
    Dimension .15% 19-0-7
    Pre-m .86% 19-0-11
    Stonewall .20% 18-0-7
    Stonewall .43% 19-0-7

My first application has always been the 19-0-7 with dim but I have been getting pretty bad breakthrough on some properties. I am also considering adding for an extra charge a second application of liquid along edges and hot areas to keep the cost and labor down on the first application. Currently we do not charge extra for the first application with granular dimension but do fine on it. I just want better control and want some feed back please.
    Thank you.

2. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

When timing is right, I've been a huge fan of dimension... prolly goes without saying but just make sure to apply it with proper timing, and do not skimp on the app..

As far as callbacks go, if the diminsion worked at all, you can probably give the remaining crab grass few drops of roundup each on your next visit.. I wouldn't charge for that... the other option is that you can schedule a drive treatment for the next one.. that would guarentee no survivers, and it would be a regularly scheduled app... so full price :)

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just hit the survivers on the next round with MSMA, takes em out so long as they are young and temps are right. cheap too.

4. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't MSMA banned now? or as of next year?

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Our problem was that even lomg after the 2nd round, it was STILL germinating. We had new stuff coming up in July and August. We are DEFinitely going to need a different "stragedy" for next season. i'm looking at the option of putting an auxillary tank and spray unit on the PG for spotting with Drive. We just have to keep it constantly cleaned out and mixed fresh.

6. stumper1620

Ya, but what you have you can use. I bought a Sheet load of the stuff as soon as I knew it was going out.
    Man, a perfect chem for most breakthru problems and they ban it.
    must be because it was effective and cost efficient. alternative is drive at over twice the cost.

Runner check your E-mail

7. GrazerZ

Runner, I did the same this year with drive and acclaim. I want better initial control or a pre emergent strategy that has a higher success rate. I have considered doing two apps of fert with dimension but truth be told I'm not a huge fan of 19-0-6 with it having only 30% slow release in it for my 2nd round.
    I'm sure that I will be sending out some sort of disclaimer or explanation for hose who expect 100% control. Most of our customers were very happy, its mostly just my own neuroses that has me worried.

8. stumper1620

Same here. I agree about 19-0-6 as a second round too. I like 32-0-10 on the second.

9. GrazerZ

Thats what I use also along with 28-5-12 w/3%fe Man I love that stuff!

10. stumper1620

Nice thick and dark green carpet. Agreed.