Next Years Leaf War...Need Input

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mojob, Nov 17, 2006.

1. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I have this one account that has kicked my a$$ this fall. Five acres with 18 buildings and wall to wall trees. There's a narrow strip of grass between the buildings and the parking lot and at times this fall it was under about four inches of leaves. I've been using my Walker to suck up the leaves and then dumping at different points around the parking lot and picking it up later. It's very time consuming because you have to mow really slow or it just clogs the chute. There's not enough grass area to disperse the leaves to mulch so I don't see any other way to deal with this. To speed things up I was thinking of installing one of those high dump options on the walker or just getting a leaf loader. I use an enclosed trailer so the idea of using the trailer as a ramp up to the back of my dump bed is out. Does anybody have a better idea? Will a leaf loader be strong enough to suck up chopped up leaves?

2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes a leaf loader will suck up grass clippings, chopped leaves as long as you get at least a 16hp unit.

3. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

if you could fit a cyclone rake and mower in your trailer would there be enough room on your truck for the mulched leaves - you could blow them from the bagger to the truck - they seem to be nice units and well thought of here?!?

4. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

get a leaf loader on a trucka n blo in one big pile

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Get a 10+ hp push blower.
    That, or the Jrco leaf rake.

That way you can move piles of leaves until they're waist high.

6. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have to say you need a leaf loader. I also have to agree that you need a 16 hp model or more. The more power you have, the less likely you are to clog the loader with wet leaves or grass. I run Walker mowers and use a 16 Hp Billy Goat loader to suck up piles of grass and leaves. You could mount the loader on the tailgate of your dump trailer and enclose it.

7. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

The one thing I don't like about the leaf loader is the box you have to build for the truck. I have a 9 yard dump bed on my truck that has expanded metal (mesh) sides. Have you ever seen anyone use a flexable enclosure such as heavy canvas. I was thinking it could attach to the discharge chute on the loader and snap to the perimeter of the truck bed. This way I could continue to use my dumptruck for other things without too much hassle. What do you think? Also, you can't pull a trailer with a loader mounted on the back of the truck, can you?

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I suggest you get or fab a good leaf plow for the walker, get some 8001's and set your truck up with a leaf loader and box.

This way you can drop and plow to an access point. This way you push the majority of them, and the walker can suck up any escapees. Done quick, fast and in a hurry with no BSing around with them.

That's my current 2 cents anyways. I've always just mulched everything until just this fall, and what I have figured out is that time and labor wise, blowing and/or bagging is about like taking a knife to a gunfight when there is a serious amount of leaves to deal with.

9. hmalexan

hmalexan LawnSite Member

Did you fab your leaf plow? I looked into buying one last year but decided not to. Just lowered the deck and moved them. Probally not the best thing in the world. They couldnt be that hard to make.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Nah... I've been doing the same thing actually.

I haven't had to use that method a lot to speed things up, and I really haven't had the time to fab anything yet.