1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Next year's mowing shedule

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK, I've been thinking about a lot of things. Contracts, mowing schedules, mowing days, catchup or extra work days ect...

I'm thinking of using an 8 day schedule rather than 7 or 14 (I HATE 14). This schedule also makes it fair for everyone since each persons mowing day would rotate each week. The thing I think of is once a person rotates off Friday to Monday, they skip a week of getting cut. Ten days between mowings.

I'm not so sure that would fly with some of my customers. But on the other hand I've seen where some LCO's use a 10 day cycle all season.

What's some thoughts on this? Should I mow on Saturday too. This way it's 9 days max between at any time. I'm not sure some of my customers would appreciate me unloading bright and early on the day they sleep in. But then again, they would only have to put up with it once every six weeks.
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, this would not work for me. I try to bang out all of my commercial work on Mondays (so they look good for the week). Then, the residentials fill Tues-Fri. I hit the more affluential neighborhoods toward the endof the week. They seem to have more weekend parties, etc. I will change myu schedule for a client 1-2 times er season for special occasions if requested.
    Otherwise, new accounts get mowed on the day we service that neighborhoood.

3. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

not a good idea. rain would screw with the sched, and skipping whole weeks? they won't like that. nor will they like changing days.

just my opinion, but sorry i think it is a real bad idea.

how many customers do you have that requires such a schedule?
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What happens if you get 3 or 4 days of rain? How do you schedule around someone having a special event (wedding, christening, retirement party, etc.) at their home and they want you the day before?

Turfdude and bubble boy make sense. Gotta a feeling others that chime in are gonna agree...not a great idea.

Plus, I think you're leaving money "on the table" :cry:
  5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

i've had a lot of scheduling problems this year. too many customers would call and say 'skip this week' or when i show up, they tell me to skip. I HATE THAT. next year i will cut every 7 days, and at MY descresion. if they call and cancel, well next week it will 1.5 times the price because i will NOT make a special trip out 4 days later to mow it since THEY all of a sudden think its time. if i show up and they say don't mow i still charge them. the courtesy of a phone call would only have taken 3 minutes. i agree with turfude.....commercial mon-tue. res later in the week. stick with a 7 day schedule its A LOT less hectic :D
  6. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

this is the way. i thought this would be a prob, but very rare someone complains at the end of the month that the bill is the full amount. if they do, i explain the situation. if they stil push, i admit i will reduce the bill. imo not worth losing a customer over. but again, it's rare.

best way to introduce the policy is of course the dreaded contract.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

I wasn't sure rather the ide would fly or not. That's why I posted it. I prefer run a cut every 7 days schedule myself. I also like to do my commercial accounts early in the week.

But I have some commercial accounts that want a cut on thursday or friday. A lot of the residential folks want thurday or friday too. You can't cut everyone in 2 days!

I was just thinking of a way to make if fair across the board for everyone. A schedule where everyone gets treated the same. Also one where everyone gets an end of the week cut once and a while.

Also notice that I have every saturday and a day almost every week for catching up, taking on an extra customer, landscape work or the odd job. Maybe it still isn't such a good idea! I might ought to reserve the end of the week for those that take annual agreements or contracts....contracts being another thread alltogether...
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Duh...here is the chicken scratch shedule for visual reference...
  9. Envy Lawn Service

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Aaagh! I'm dizzy just thinking about keeping track of that schedule!
    I don't have a full schedule of customers yet,, but still I haven't had one even ask when they would be cut when I was giving them a price.
    And if someone did ask to be cut later in the week, I'd simply explain that I can't cut everyone on Thurs and Fri, so I have to do it by location.
    When I get up to full speed next season, I will only be cutting Tues to Fri and leave Mon open for side jobs and catch up day.

Besides all that, I think most people would like to be cut on the same day and even around the same time of day each week.