Next Years Residential Set-up

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TMAC669, Oct 30, 2006.

1. TMAC669

TMAC669 LawnSite Member
    from N/A

This was my first year in business and it went pretty good. I had a few hicups here and there, some growing pains but overall a decent year. I'm looking forward to next year already. My crew size will vary from just myself to on busy days 2 other helpers. Most of my regular customers have postage size lots with a few having small gated back yards. From time to time I get some rehabbers, landlords, and cheap customers whom have neglected lawns with high grass that want them cut low every two weeks. I need something commercial and tough that can get through any gate. I plan on replacing my 2 21's with a 32" Wright Velke Mower. I'm going to keep the 36" Stander(current work horse), and add a 52" Stander w/Rapid Height adjustment to replace my 42" Garden Tractor for the larger properties. What do you guys think of this setup?

2. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

That's a lot of mowers for residential work. Are the 21's commercial? How do you fit them all on the trailer?

3. TMAC669

TMAC669 LawnSite Member
    from N/A

The 21's are not commercial so they can't handle cutting twenty to thirty yards on a daily basis for a whole cutting season. I dont really want a commercial 21 mower they seem very heavy and I haven't seen one that side discharges. My trailer is 78" wide and 144" in length so every things fits on the trailer. I was thinking with the new set up I could have the velke mower and the stander side by side and the 52" behind the 36. The trailer will be full but should fit.

4. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

sounds like a tight squeeze!

how many customers did you have your first year?

What did you do to get them?

I know its off topic but im just looking for all the pointers i can get

5. TMAC669

TMAC669 LawnSite Member
    from N/A

Starting out my goal was to get 4 or 5 weekly customers. The 4 or 5 customers I wanted I didnt get them. I made up some flyers and went door to door in a particular neighborhood and I got a call from one lady and from that one lady I ended up getting like 5 or 6 customers plus her husband manages 200 properties so they kept me busy all summer. I was cutting my brothers yard for free and I ended up getting 6 houses on his block just from people seeing me and my truck out working. I ended up turning away some customers because it was just too much for me to handle working just part time. Next year 15 weekly and no more than 30 total customers is comfortable for me with the right equipment.

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Turning away good customers is a bad idea. Might want to rethink that.

You turn them away and they tell their friends that they were turned away. Word spreads and nobody will call you.

7. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

I've been doing landscape work for the past few months at a customer of one of my friends. He doesn't have the time to commit to this place, so he referred me. Now here is why I am chiming in on this thread. My friend got several referrals from this customer for cutting grass and maybe some other work. Every time he'd get a referral he'd turn it down. The customer and I were talking one day and now he says that he will be referring me to his friends and neighbors, because he knows that I will actually take on the work. Nice neighborhood too... lots of $100 cuts.

8. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I am not sure I understand what you are doing.
    You will have 3 commercial mowers, have busy days that you need help on--"My crew size will vary from just myself to on busy days 2 other helpers. Most of my regular customers have postage size lots with a few having small gated back yards".-- and you only want 15 weekly accounts.
    What am I missing here-- to me all you need is a good 21" and you could easily handle 15 lots. I do not see how you will ever cover the cost of the mowers,,, not counting all your other costs.
    Just wondering what I am missing?

9. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I was kinda thinking the same thing too?

:weightlifter:

10. TMAC669

TMAC669 LawnSite Member
    from N/A

I didn't mention the fact that I'm a conductor for a class 1 railroad and that job along can wear most people out. When I do work at the railroad either I'm on call, or I work a regular job that is 6 days a week 10-12hours per day, I've worked in the transportation dept the last 3 years and in that short time I can't count how many guys have been fired, injured, or quit.