Next year's work today?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ar_blazeman, Dec 10, 2006.

1. ar_blazeman

ar_blazeman LawnSite Member

Yesterday morning I get a call from a woman who wants me to come out and give her a price for a leaf cleanup. She tells me that she needs the work done and would like me to come out as soon as possible and because she tells me that she has gotten my number from a family friend I head over to her house as soon as I get off the phone with her. As I'm driving out to her place I'm thinking that this job is going to suck due to where its located and the amount of trees that I know are in the area.

As I pull up in front of the house there are hardly any leaves visible, only a few here and there. When she answers the door I introduced myself and she begins giving me the riot act. Telling me that she had called me 3 months ago and that I never showed up and that it was unacceptable for me to show up now to give her a price. Mind you, I've have never spoke to this woman before yesterday morning. I explained that I was the guy SHE had called just a few minutes earlier and she apologized saying she thought that I was someone she had called months earlier.

She then tells me again that she wants the yard cleaned up within the week so I take a quick look around. Then head back to the door and speak with her again and give her my price. First she asks me if I have all the equipment to do the job or if I'll have to use hers. I guess she didn't notice the truck and trailer parked in front of her house with my equipment on it. Secondly she informs me that the leaves at her house get very deep in the fall and she doesn't think that I've bid her yard high enough. I explain to her that the bid was for the current condition of the yard, not a bid for eleven months from now and that I would have to return to give her a bid then. This woman at first acts as though she understands but keeps telling me she wants a bid for when the leaves fall off NEXT YEAR.

I never was able to get her to understand that there is no way I could accurately bid her yard for next years work without seeing what type of condition it is in. Even telling her that it would be like her asking a body shop to give her an estimate for an accident that hadn't happened yet didn't seem to make any sense to this woman.

Oh well, guess I'll just chalk this one up to a learning experience and pray she doesn't call me back.

2. Grass Kickin

Grass Kickin LawnSite Member

She sounds like a nut who will only cause you problems in the future.....run

3. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

Crazy!!!;) :dizzy: :laughing:

4. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

I feel ya man, I run into these types of people almost on a daily basis, I must be attracted to them. At first I they used to make me so mad, now I find entertainmment in people that act like they are ********.

5. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

getting through to some people is like cutting a concrete block with a butter knife.... it just cant be done... i learned to watch out for those people and the ones that approach you with the "quick talking" desperate people that try to tell you all their reasons why they need you in 30 seconds when the only reason they want you to do the yard is cuz they cant get anyone else.

6. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

another good question that would have come to my mind is how come the yard is already pretty clean now and who did? Where are they now?

"As I'm driving out to her place I'm thinking that this job is going to suck due to where its located and the amount of trees that I know are in the area. "

Sounds like your gut instinct tells me you don't really want the job. Unless your desperate for cash go with your instincts. Marc

7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

you are familar with the area, how hard woudl it be to give her a ball park figure in that "Ma'am it will take us X number of hours to do leaves on a lawn this size. Heck if she can't remember calling you from a few hours before, how the heck is she gonna remember your price next year...." But yeah basically a wasted trip...

8. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

We have another confirmed case of OCLD!(obsessive/compulsive lawn disorder). We see it from time to time around here. You know the symptoms: The guy who calls to make sure your coming today,(when you were just there 2 days ago!), or the lady who fires up the irrigation as your pulling away, or the person who clocks you from the window, don't want to cut that too fast, ya know!). The list goes on, you guys all have 1 or 2, I'm sure!

9. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

nanew nanew, Please come back to earth! Sounds like a nut!!

10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see why you can't give her an ESTIMATE of how much the cost would be next Fall.