1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

nextel durability

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by vntgrcr, Mar 12, 2006.

1. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure wher to post this, so thought I would try here. I use NEXTEL and have a model I530, the yellow rubber wrapped phone. Supposedly very durable. I have had one die on me already after a year+, sent it in and they gave me a new one. Just replaced the battery because of a consistent shut off problem. THis is after less than a year. We think it is a loose connection, so they had me put a business card between the bat. and the cover. So far so good. But I have ordered a new 870 with camera, video, color screen, Bluetooth, etc. I am concerned about the durablity of using one with all of this "stuff". I do excavation/ landscape construction so on and off machines, shoveling, raking,like we all do. Just curious what you guys think. Thanks for any input.
  2. Chunkster27

Chunkster27 LawnSite Member

I have the same phone that you do and they are not CONSTRUCTION GRADE like they say. The service and signal I get is horrible. Always loosing calls and sometimes when people call the phone wont ring and a voicemail will show up an hour later. My contract is up in May and I'm dumping them. That is my input lol
  3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

I have always purchased the the low grade phones i205 right now. Had this one 2 seasons and it still is going. I seem to go thru a phone every two seasons, so for me, buying the nice ones seems dumb. My personal phones (t-mobile) i buy the nicer ones. JMO
  4. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I have used nextel for about 4 years now. I do not know why I stick with them the signal is horrible. I am not sure about the durability. However, I just ran my old one over two days ago with my dump truck and they said that they believe they can fix it. The thing still turned on. I just got a new one instead (I think it was the i560).

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

My i530 is a year old and works fine. The signal is great, but there are a lot of towers here and very few dead zones.

I also usually leave it in the truck while I'm working, so that helps I'm sure.
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Nextel Motorola phones since they started and never had one break and that is including dropping them from 30' up on a pole. My current phone is the i710 flip phone w/color screen (I don't need all that extra services, had 'em, don't use them or need them) and its gone with me on 2 hurricane projects 2004 & 2005 and still use it today. The batteries seem to not hold charges like advertised but i charge every nite and have no problems.
  7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

i have an i870 for maybe close to a year now since they came out. ive dropped it in the snow, mud, etc.. but it still works fine...
  8. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Also, the guy told me as long as I change the SIM card, I can use both phones, obviously not at the same time. But maybe one for everyday work, the other for going out or what ever. But Aintnofun, your response is encouraging.
  9. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

All cellfone companies suck. I just do my best to find the company the sucks the least.

Nextel mildly sucks but they seem overpriced to me. I canceled their service a few years ago and BTW I too broke several of their "tough" fones.

I have Verizon now - they suck but suck the least of any company I have had.

BTW, Dont you think "phone" should be spelled "fone"? I do so I pretty much always spell it that way. I have to watch myself if I write it in correspondence with a customer so I dont look like a total idiot.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

He said it all mobile phone companies suck and are crooks,nextel seems the best in my area i have a i560 this phone is tough you name em and i have had em,cingular always made fun of walkie talkie until they hooked up on it now who is eating crow.