1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nextel Phones (love'm but too expensive)

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by greenngrow, Nov 4, 2002.

1. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I have three nextel phones at the present. They are handy as pocket on a shirt. THe problem is they are double the price when it comes to monthly fees.

My brother works for a cell phone company ( AT&T wireless). He tells me that he can set me up with phones for little to nothing.

I have had all the major players when it comes to cell phones. All about the same. In service and coverage.

I was just wondering what the other guys are doing about this....????
  2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

am i right that nextel is the two way/phone ?

those systems are great, but its the same here in canada, way more $ than a cell phone.

so we run phones.:cool:
  3. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I think the nextel phones are worth the extra$$
  4. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

you just dont have the right plan. i run 6 phones off of one account. i pay $70 month for 500 call min. all incoming are free and free direct connect. you can change your plan at any time with nextel.
  5. greenngrow

At the present my plan for all three phones are 50.00 per phone.
    We share 600 minutes per month. Now the unused minutes don't rollover. And if you go over the 600 limit they tack on hefty charges.

F350, tell me more about your plan????/
  6. f350

f350 Banned
    from mi

look on nextel.com for plans
  7. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I had verizon before nextel and couple of times I paid over $300 for two phones, now that I have nextel for one year I pay $85 - 90 a month two phones, 500 anytime minutes, unlimited two way, no roaming, charge by the second after the minute. Only one time I had to pay $150.00 it's a share plan so my employees don't use the phone minutes they page me only, so I'm the one who uses all the 500 minutes, If you talk more than 15 min a day there's another plans, like free incoming call, pretty good if your customers call you most of the time.
  8. greenngrow

Update on Nextel....

The service has imprved 100% I don't know what's happen, but before this past weekend I had Zero service at my house. Today the service bar on the phone reads full service. I can't explain the difference. I am sure glad that it happened for the price I am paying.

Now the news of Nation wide Direct connect. Now that is something to get exicited about. It is to get to my area around March 2003.
  9. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I pay $69 a month, for 1 phone before any of the service charges. For that, I get: 500 minutes a month, unlimited nights and weekends, no long distance charges, unlimited voice mail, unlimited internet access, unlimited 2 way, and a couple of other things.

I have been having a problem with them for the past 2 or 3 months now regarding a $1000 charge to my account. I had been told when I purchased my phone that I had free long distance at first, and then once I had been with the company for a while I could get free international calling. I was told that by the dealer, and by a Nextel rep. Well sure enough, this past fall I decided to start calling out of the country, I was told it was a free feature... a month later I get a charge of $1000 for a deposit. I have been calling them repeatedly to get this issue resolved, each time I call they take care of the issue, yet the next statement still has that $1000 charge on there.
  10. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody use the new(ish) 5 mile walkie talkies? They are like $80-90/ pair, and I didnt buy them because they didnt come standard with rechargable batteries, you have to buy them separately. My service area is small, and these would work probably 60-70% of the time. Anybody have any experience, do they actually work for 5 miles?