Nextel & Sprint

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Groundcover Solutions, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know if you guys heard but Nextel and Sprint agreed apone a 37 million doller merger today. This could be great news for the many of us that use nextel phones and also for the sprint users. I know I dont always get the greatest service with my nextel now and I would hope that this could be the begining of a much better service provider. I don't konw all of the ramafications of this merger but it dose look and sound good to me. hear is a link to an artical in busniss week if you want to get some more info on it. http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2004/tc20041215_9347_tc024.htm

2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

I agree totally.

This is my 8th, yes 8th year with Nextel and I have always been happy with them and just put up with the dead areas.

Locally for me, Sprint and Nextel share the same towers so I doubt it would help much, but there is great differences throughout the national service footprint.

Good stuff to come !

3. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

I was glad to dump Sprint many years ago in favor of Nextel. I hope Sprint doesn't screw up a Nextel.

4. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Neither sprint or nextel is big in my area. I know a lot of fellow workers have sprint and I always laugh when the get in their cars and drive down the road looking for the sprint service areas to keep from paying roaming charges. Sprint seems to work great in big cities and next to the Interstate hiways but when you get in the country you end up paying roaming chages. I do like the ideal of the walkie talkie nextel but the service isnt available in my area.

5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i think this is bad..... nextel has a unique service.. the radios no one else offers this sprint is going to F^^^ this up rates are going to go up, etc etc trust me it will happen not over night but it will happen ... just like every other company roaming that cost like $400 per minute nextel doesnt have that it wither works or it dont..... keeps us from having high bills everymonth......... nextel has built a nitch in the market towards construction/service type industries, due in part to the radio feature. think about it for 10 a month i can talk to any of you across the country unlimited on the radio who else does this.... no one. i read in USA TODAY newspaper today that "eventually nextel users will be having to trade in their phone for phone that sprint uses" umm lets see here radio probally gone.......... i dont need this its going to jew up my way of doing business totally i guess it will be back to the 15 antena on the back of the truck and cb radio in the truck to communicate cause i sure aint lettin my employees run around town all day with cell phones that who knows who and how much they use them talking to who know.... wiht nextel i have the phone service shut offexcept for my # 911 and the office and just let them use the radio not the phone ............... sorry for the rant but i just dont see this going over too well with the merger in the long run for many of us in the contacting/ service industry.. its why we joined nextel in the first place.. to get away from those other companies.

6. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

actually sprint already has a walkie talkie feature it is called push to talk

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sprint's version doesn't even compare to NexTel's

8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

if im not mistaken, it was a $37 Billion agreement. Because the purchase is being done with stocks, its very ironic that as investors are signalling their approval of this merger, they are also making the deal more costly.

Dont count out Verison to make an offer though. As I understand, they have pretty much 30 days until the spring-nextel agreement becomes permanent. Verison is likely waiting til the stock prices subside within that 30 day period to make an offer... afterall, the Nextel deal is breakable with I believe a 1 Billion payment of sorts. The question then becomes, will Big Brother allow Verison the purchase?

9. Groundcover Solutions

Verizon considered a buy out of sprint earlyer this month but since they have a larger portion of there co. Owned by a large telecom co. in europe they did not. Yes it is still an option but i belive it is unlikly. One of the main resones for this merger is because nextel needs to upgrade there network from 800mhz to at least 2ghz this would improve the qulity and reception of nextel phones. Sprint is already running on a 2ghz system, although the change over will not happen over night and will be quite complicated. I feel this will be a good improvment for nextel. But this could aslo hert some customers because nextel runs on the iden network. This means new phones would have to be purchased in order for the phones to operate on the new network.

10. Groundcover Solutions

Oh yeah and I ment billion... If you could have bought nextel for a few million I would have... LOL