Nfib

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by williamslawn, Sep 12, 2002.

1. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Is anyone here a member of the NFIB? If so, what have they done for you company. If not, why not?

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been for years. Its the only way small business can have an ear in government. Worth it.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am not a member. Why? I have no idea what you are talking about. If you want to give some more information, I am listening.

MATT

4. HBFOXJr

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thanks, I will check it out.

MATT

6. landman

landman LawnSite Member
    from NJ

was a member for a year and didn't do anything for me. the only thing I got from them was a rude guy that said he was my representaitve and wanted a $500.00 check. never heard from him the rest of the year. plus it's not tax dedutable.

7. HBFOXJr

The dues are negotiable downward. Trust me.

Don't join for what you think this will do for you personally. Don't join any organization for what they will do for you personally. It all about what you give individually and get as a group. That is what you get personally.

You get to vote on issues that affect your business.
    You have an ear to vent business concerns to.
    There are business benefits in discounts and insurance programs.
    And much, much more. It is what YOU make it.

8. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Harold is right on.... you get out of it what you put into it, as it is with any organizational membership.

NFIB does good work, but their profit is rather out of line for what "non profits" achieve (NFIB is not philanthropic and not a 501c3 or 501c6). I know a guy that worked for them for three years as a solicitor/salesman. The sales people's commission is extraordinary which is why they push so danged hard when they come to visit you. However, they're close ratio is low so they must push hard in order to achieve sales. The sales peoples 'contact' goal is incredibly high (something like 2000 contacts a month, or some such thing). If I could get my sales people to make contacts like that we'd be really well off now.

As I said... NFIB has some great programs and they do have an intense lobby in Washington that has enjoyed some success at getting some legislation passed that is favorable to small business. Although, they do take credit for ANY legislation that is passed that is favorable to small business - so it's hard to ascertain their actual effectiveness. They ARE a force to be respected because if they are actually involved in half of what gets passed in our favor - they are doing a very good job.

There is strength in numbers, as is the case with any group that bands together in a common goal.

9. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Thanks for the replys.