1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nh Ls170

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Wisentaner, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Wisentaner

Wisentaner LawnSite Member

Any operators with any feed back on the machine. I actuially like the lay out of the NH and especially the size and operating weight of the 170. Im just woried the ROC is a little lower than I need. The machine will be a landscape machine, lots of bucket work and occasionally lifting pallets of sod(2000#) and stone(2500#). Is this possible or is the machine just to light? The 180 has just a little heavier operating weight than I want.
  2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

A close friend of mine is a NH fan, he is on his 3rd NH. He started with the LS170. It was a nice machine, I got to use it a lot, but a little light for what you are looking to do. If you have any question that the machine may not have lift you need, go with the 180. To me, there is a huge difference between the 170 and 180. The 180 moved skids of sod or stone/pavers without a problem.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Had the 170 and suggest for what you want jump to the 180, otherwise your cheeks are gonna spend a lot of time clenching the seat :D
  4. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

check to make sure there is no play in the wheels. you could at least easily check the fronts by lifting them off the ground by lowering the bucket, and wiggle them side to side. make sure there is no play.
    i had a ls190 where a wheel fell off 3 different times, and 3 different wheels. the whole axle shaft would slide out. the problem is that the only thing holding the axle shaft from sliding out is a snap ring. there is a groove on the inside edge of the axle shaft where the snap ring sits in. the problem is that the shims used behind it squeeze out, and the groove itself isn't deep enough. the end result is too much play and then the clip breaks or pops off, and then the wheel axle slides out.
  5. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

oh and a little more info. Case and New Holland recently merged. the new LS B-series machines from new holland use Case drivetrains now. that means they are quiter now, and less likely to have a wheel fall off.
  6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

NH does not use the CASE axles. Other than engines and some interior components, they are different machines. Built in the same factory, but on two separate lines.
  7. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

we had a ls170.. machine was great, never had any problems. like someone suggested though if you can id get the 180. we never really got into pavers but the machine did everything we wanted landscape wise. sometimes it woulda been nicer to have a larger machine though...

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to lift, HN is the way to go. If you attempt to grade, or use as a dirt machine, worhtless.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Vertical lift machines don't do so well if you're grading/digging. Vertical lift was desiged to LIFT straight up and that's about it. Heavy digging = radial lift machine, much better.