Lawn Care Forum banner

Nice 1/2 acre install , only 1 problem.

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  ArTurf 
#1 ·
I sold a job , guy just rehabbed whole house added an addition and was getting it landscaped and wanted irrigation . He was getting sod . So I tell the guy (and its written on the contract ) To tell the landscaper to grade , set the plants and mulch beds , then I install the sprinkler , then he comes back and lays sod . So the customer calls and tells me the landscapers are done . I call in a locate , then I run over to flag the system . And what do I see ...........a beautiful sodded lawn , the whole 1/2 acre .

So I call the customer and tell him , the price I gave you was for a bare dirt lawn , I cant do anything until the sod is firmly rooted and the price is $ 900 more . He tells me the " landscaper said that I could roll the sod up ,put in the pipe and then roll it back . I tell the guy , you are kidding thats way too much labor , and it will look like crap when I am done , we dont do that , nobody does . Its sprinkler then sod . I then tell him the only way I can do it is if the landscaper sends 2 men to roll up the sod ahead of me , and put it back as I finish a run and the heads , its a 3 day job if it takes longer I charge more .

So 2 hours later I get a call back , the customer is pissed ,the landscaper wont do it , and wont warranty sod if the sprinkler isnt installed . I have to explain that its a freshly graded lawn , the dirt isnt settled , I bid it bare dirt I will tear the hell out of the sod with a plow until its firmly rooted. Been there , done that . I tell him it will be 30 to 45 days before its ready .
Your beef is with the landscaper , not me .

See less See more
#2 ·
I always find it funny what people justify expenses.. $12k for your stamped concrete back patio? Customer- ' Sure No big deal ' $ 1.5k to re-work the sprinkler system from the new patio.. Customer -' WHAT THE EF???????? '

I Hate working with other contractors, landscapers , hardscapers ect.. I give props to construction workers as there are so many different companies working ' together'.

Flipping the sod on like a 1,500 SF area and repairing it after wouldn't be That big of a deal.. Ill do it on occasion but of course suggest to have the sod after the sprinklers.. On a half acre though no way.

If he isn't willing to pay extra and your schedule allows I'd just wait tell the yard establishes itself. But then I don't really know Maryland weather.

#4 ·
Sounds like the cart is pulling the horse.

2 years ago I turned down a "newly sodded and over watered" site 9 zone install. The grass was rotting which I smelled when I pulled up. Told the guy the options which he was not pleased with. All of the options ended with me not taking any fault for damage and replacement.

To make a long story longer I walked away from the work even going into the winter. It's not worth my trouble for a few bucks with a 45 minute drive each way.

45 days might not even be enough time. Sounds like you and the landscaper need to have a nice chat with some finger pointing. If you HAVE to do the work make sure your machine has all the sod bells and whistles like turf pads and the sod cutter on the plow. I know you know all this stuff. Sorry to hear about the problems.

Good luck man!

#6 ·
And now, another easy-living session of "Philosophy with Rhett"

What were your problems 3 months ago?
6 months ago?
a year ago?
Cant really rememeber?

Eventually this will be the same.

Teach the customer how to best/most-quickly get grass rooted, the weather may even take care of most of the watering for you/them.

Its all just a big crossword puzzle, enjoy the figuring it out of it.

They probably voted for Trump :)

#8 ·
And now, another easy-living session of "Philosophy with Rhett"
Eventually this will be the same.
You can be standing around, thinking, "this sucks", you want the work, but not the grief that your b.s. detector is warning you about. Without much more chat, you turn, hand them your card, and say, "mite keep this, could be handy down the road."

#9 ·
Isn't sod still dormant now from winter? If it is, wouldn't it not need water until spring? That is my understanding, doing a sod job tomorrow and the system is not going to come on until spring when it need it. In the high 40s during the day, down to low 40s-low 30s at night. All of the lawns are still dormant ayways.

#10 ·
Yes its dormant , but its been dry , and I signed a contract and have a deposit . Deal was it was a bare dirt job . Done in Feb , price reflected both . Now it will be a take your time be carefull of the lawn job done when spring start ups happen . BIG price difference .

#14 ·
Yes its dormant , but its been dry...
Sod is laid over topsoil, and it is Supposed to get t storms and rain tomorrow here, should fix the dryness issue.

But even if it were dry, it is still dormant, and if lawns don't need water neither does sod, right.

#19 ·
I sold a job , guy just rehabbed whole house added an addition and was getting it landscaped and wanted irrigation . He was getting sod . So I tell the guy (and its written on the contract ) To tell the landscaper to grade , set the plants and mulch beds , then I install the sprinkler , then he comes back and lays sod . So the customer calls and tells me the landscapers are done . I call in a locate , then I run over to flag the system . And what do I see ...........a beautiful sodded lawn , the whole 1/2 acre .

So I call the customer and tell him , the price I gave you was for a bare dirt lawn , I cant do anything until the sod is firmly rooted and the price is $ 900 more . He tells me the " landscaper said that I could roll the sod up ,put in the pipe and then roll it back . I tell the guy , you are kidding thats way too much labor , and it will look like crap when I am done , we dont do that , nobody does . Its sprinkler then sod . I then tell him the only way I can do it is if the landscaper sends 2 men to roll up the sod ahead of me , and put it back as I finish a run and the heads , its a 3 day job if it takes longer I charge more .

So 2 hours later I get a call back , the customer is pissed ,the landscaper wont do it , and wont warranty sod if the sprinkler isnt installed . I have to explain that its a freshly graded lawn , the dirt isnt settled , I bid it bare dirt I will tear the hell out of the sod with a plow until its firmly rooted. Been there , done that . I tell him it will be 30 to 45 days before its ready .
Your beef is with the landscaper , not me .
Had one like that . Just never bothered to call the clown back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.