Nice account but...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Remsen1, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had some time to kill this weekend so I did a drive-up solicitation at a house that looked like it would be the ultimate fall clean up. I've been salivating over this property. It's approx. 5 acres on a hill with huge, huGE, HUGE maple trees. Large well kept house, 4 car garage, paved driveway 200' , BMW the whole works. I pull up and, first good sign: the garage is open and I don't see a speck of lawn equipment. most of the Yard is burried in 6" of leaves. I knock on the door, a lady comes out and I introduce myself, and she says she's been hoping somebody would stop and she asks for a quote. I'm thinking "wow this is a really nice one". I ask her if I can walk around the yard, she's like "sure!". I really wanted the job, cause it is a highly visible area and would really give me a chance to showcase, plus if it turned into a full service it would be a bread and butter account. (One of those mowing accounts that would be a half day stop for two guys to mow, trim, and edge.) so I quoted what I thought was reasonable. I say "4 hours with two people $250". She was a little shocked at my price and said that she usually pays $50. She said, I'll keep you in mind if I need you, I said thank you very much. She was really nice and didn't try haggling my price so I am hoping that the putz's who've been doing it, wise-up and don't show this year. If they do, I'll probably have to tack on some more to my quote cause we had a nice wind storm and the leaves have probably doubled since I was there.

I think I will continue to pass information to this homeowner cause sooner or later her current guy is going to get sick of losing money and will quit.
  2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hope it works out for ya. payup
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

5 acres, covered in leaves, 8 man hrs, $250? :help:
  4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to have to side with Booby on this one. Only way is if the leaves stay on the property, in other words, they are all "blown into the surrounding woods". At that price and those hours, only if it is a premium customer, and has been for a few years. At that price, no way any leaves are going to "get picked-up and removed". You may want to re-think your quote on this one.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

8 man hours huh? Let me do the math...ok, 6 bills minimum, probably more like $750 by the time we're done. Period
  6. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

that sounds to low also.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

50 bucks for 5 acres of leaves? Helllooo...even 250 is ridiculous IMO.
  8. dkarol

dkarol LawnSite Member

Jeez! Sounds very low for around here, anyway. We just bid $1,800 for about 8 acres of leaf removal - in the woods around camper trailers, with leaves being removed from the site. I was thinking maybe we were a little low.
  9. MWE

MWE LawnSite Member
    from NC

$50 bucks!?!?!?!? Find out who this person is that does it for $10 an acre and sub him out and just sit at home all day while he is doing all your work for you, and you just collect the checks, and give him is $10 an acre fee.
  10. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

How do you think they got all those Beamers and acres, being honest. Huh, you called her bluff, good for you.