nice clothes?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I was finishing up a job today, and the homeowner said, "Oh, I thought you were one of my landscaper's helpers."

Okay, so I was holding a shovel at the moment and my hat was covering my face. But still!!

What the heck looks really nice and works well for trenching, etc. I've been wearing polo t-shirts but I guess that makes me look like a laborer. Long shirts don't stay tucked in.

Sorry in advance for this stupid question.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

You know, it's all about attitudes, both yours and theirs.

Do you feel a sense of shame because you're earning your living using a shovel?

I was on a job about 10 years ago and this old time Italian plumber working at the same residence came up to me and thought he'd have a laugh at my expense...

"Tools of ignorance" he said, with a big grin.

"Huh?" I asked.

"My pop always told me, learn a skill or you'll be stuck using tools of ignorance" he said.

"So," I replied, "let me get this straight... you'd rather be inside unstopping a toilet than working out here in the sunshine and fresh air digging around a sprinkler head?"

His expression changed and he walked away without saying another word.

Now, this is probably gonna be interpreted some way or another as politically incorrect, but maybe your customer just wasn't used to seeing a gabacho break an honest sweat.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

We have company t shirts and either wear shorts or jeans while working. Meetings are usually done in kahki pants and a company polo shirt.

Clients are well aware before they hire me that I am on site and working for every installation.

4. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Company shirt- yes.

Khaki pants- no thanks.

I used to wear shorts more... now I'm back to jeans. No holes, relatively clean.

And I always keep a change of shirt (or two) in the truck during the summer.

5. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Full button up shirts, Plain front khakis pants or shorts, no cargo pockets, no jeans, shirts always tucked in, long pants on all 1st meetings. This is our basic look, no exceptions.

6. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

This reminds me of a new house I had a few years back, when I had a plumbing problem I went to great lengths to try to get the orginal plumber back out, he said no thanks I only work on pre-poop homes Sorry.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Good for you, served him right !!

8. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

company shirt, sleeve length depending on temperature. Khaki pants and work boots. shirt is always tucked in. I always try to promote a professional image to my customers and potentials.

9. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

I'm a long sleeve button-down guy, but my shirts won't stay tucked. Demo's are the hardest.

I also hate shorts, but it's so flippin hot here.

10. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

buy a tighter belt.