1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

nice people

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mike lane lawn care, Aug 18, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

you know, most of my customers are very nice, never a problem with payemnt, and never wanting to alter the schedule unless the weather alters it. But what about friends, people who aren't your customers but you do a dervice here or there?

the reason i bring this up is because, yesterday i get a call from a guy i know, his mower is dead and he's waiting on spindles to be shipped, he would like me to do his lawn. i said no problem tomorrow works fine. It should be known that this guy is the theater manager at our school theater which is busy year round as it is a state-of-the-art facility, this guy has worked with ABC, MTV, and VH1. And whenever he has an event in the theater that he needs help for, he calls me and i find a way to move things around to help out, theese gigs are 95% unpaid, as the town never authorizes him to hire someone. So i help him with this and he helps me out with any problem with any of my electronic items i might have.

But today i give him a call making sure he's home before i go mow and he shows up in my driveway as i dial his cell number, he used to be a mechanic and knows quite a bit. he starts looking over all of the components of my astro and spents over an hour going through the details with me, he even gets off the hitch ball that was rusted in place. then I head off with the equipment to mow his lawn, i finish the big stuff with the tractor and go to trim and he says that he can do that. then he asks what i charge for his size lawn. i of course told him not to worry about it because he assisted me with the van. He insisted, this is a situation where it might insult him if i further declined, and he paid me $40. and i felt bad about taking his money after he helped me out so much

i'm sure you guys have friends like this, but what would you have done in this senario?
  2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Store that is the same way. A Little Party Store I cut, Lets me advertise there, and they still insist on paying me.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend from the local meeting house(bar) that has had me cutting his grass for a bit now bacause his tractor broke. I'm uneasy working for friends because I want them to stay friends. I give him a good price, $30. Tle last time he paid me he shoves $40 at me. No,no $30 is fine. I cut every 2 wks and it takes about 35 min. so it's not a bad deal. I just cut it again and if he tries to pay me $40 I'm gonna buy him beers until he pukes. It's nice to get the long end of the stick every once in a while.:drinkup:
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Take the money. If it were'nt you, then he would be picking up the phone book and calling someone else that would possibly charge more. So look at that you still saved him money. Besides, sounds like the town is the one making out like banshee's.
  5. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

the son of one of my customers lives on the same street as me. they were out of their house for 3 months while water damage was being repaired and he asked me to do it. he is a great guy, always offering to take me to his hunting club (really good land), fising, etc on his tab. i haven't taken him up on it to date. anyway, it took me about 10 minutes each time, no trimming. i told him not to worry about it and he insisted on paying me $20 every time. finally, i told him he had overpaid and that the last two times would be no charge, period. well, i go to pull out of his mom's house one day, and found $40 cash that i didn't know i had stuck in my sun visor.(he and his wife were at the mom's while i was there that day). i went back inside and asked him about it and he smiled and said "you did the work, you deserve to get paid". that kind of made me re-think. and he was right. see my point?
  6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

A workman is worthy of his hire! My mom always made it clear that you pay for a job done and when done right pay the worker well.

I was asked by a friend of my mom to maintain her yard and help clean up the landscape. Did all that was asked and more with no intention of taking a dime. Her husband had died a few weeks before after a few years of declining health. He had enjoyed a long life and wanted to do his own lawn up until he passed. After getting cornered to accept payment I gave a price of $50 a month to mow weekly. This is a one acre yard with a backyard full of banana, guava, atis and coconut trees. She came to pay after the first month. I expected $50 that was agreed upon only to get paid 20 times what I had quoted. There were a number of jobs done that were not on the list but I did not expect that amount. Ended up telling her the job was now paid for the next year. My wife came each time to help her clear up paperwork and deal with her recent loss.

She has had others charge outrageous amounts for the littlest amount of work done so I felt pretty good in this case being the lowballer.

There are those who are appreciative of your labor and you will get your reward sooner or later. Most of us would like to get it sooner.
  7. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks guys, while driving the van today, I remembered a conversation we had about code readers and how the basic ones were about $80, he had said if i buy one, the first time he uses it he'll pay half (even though he knows he can use it without giveing me a penny) i will be doing his lawn again this week and possibly one more time before he gets the mower back from the shop. i was thinking about just buying the reader and giving it to him. He is the kind of person who will drop every thing to help out a friend, and he would really use a code reader, so i think it would be a nice sort of thank you.