Nice Residential or Entry-Level Commercial?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by pete326, Jun 1, 2014.

1. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

Too much machine???? I am not familiar with this terminology, does such a thing exist????????

2. ryan aerators

ryan aerators LawnSite Member

NEVER TO MUCH MACHINE lol!!!

3. pete326

pete326 LawnSite Member

Thanks, but I am officially retired with no plans to re-enter the workforce. Besides, most of my other neighbors use lawn services.

4. pete326

pete326 LawnSite Member

Well, unfortunately there are certain poor souls (like me) in this world who don't buy a Rolls Royce when they're working with a Cadillac budget.

:nono:

5. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I understand. I read your original post to mean $ was not an issue. I also once had a gravely with a 48"deck, 17hp motor to cut a smaller yard like yours. Cut great. Nice heavy duty machine. You could get one of those used for around $3,500. I think what the other fellows are saying is if you go residential grade, it may be cheaper up front, but will cost more in the long run.
    Good luck with the decision.

6. pete326

pete326 LawnSite Member

Money isn't an issue, but at the same time I don't see the need to buy the best thing on the market. It's unlikely that I'll be living here longer than another 5 years +/-, so buying a commercial grade machine might be overkill but I do understand the long-term benefits. It would be a no-brainer if I expected to be cutting grass 10 years from now, but that's not where I am. Hence, a nice residential grade ZTR will probably do the trick. I have no problem laying out $5,000 if that's what it takes, but anything beyond that is probably a waste of money given my circumstances. If the machine is still in good working order when we move, I'll leave it for the next guy if he's interested.

7. Whittaker's Lawn and Snow

Whittaker's Lawn and Snow LawnSite Member

If $5000 your limit, you can get a fairly.nice outfit for.that. it might not be brand new but you certainly can get a good used.deere for that!

8. j4c11

j4c11 LawnSite Member

If you're looking for something that is tough as nails, won't break the bank and will outlive you, have a look at some of the IH or CCC built Cub Cadets, especially the "Supers", any Cub Cadet garden tractor pre-1990. For around $2400 you can get a very nice 1872/2072 with low hours, 60 inch deck and 54 inch hydraulic snow blade. The Sundstrand hydraulics are next to impossible to kill and the construction is heavy duty steel frame. Or if you're feeling adventurous, a nice 40 year old 1450/1650 can be had for around $800, and since the rear-end is cast iron, it will easily go for another 40. Mine has been used for plowing and tilling for the past 40 years by the previous owner and shows no sign of wear. Try that with any modern "garden tractor".

Before you drop big money on a new tractor that is made to fail, look around your local craigslist for older cub cadets,go see one in person, check out the frame, the transmission, the build quality. You will never look at tractors the same way again.

9. Cavcom

Cavcom LawnSite Member

Check out kubota kommander , it's a residential but very nice.

10. pete326

pete326 LawnSite Member

I see that you're also from Bel Air .... small world.

:clapping: