1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nice tip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

A customer gave me a nice tip today. The tip was equal to one weeks service charge. I thought that was a pretty nice tip, considering people in the south generally only tip for good service at dinner. The funny thing about that is he's originally from California.

Anyways, he says that he gave me the tip because he feels I really care about the customer and how their lawn looks. Plus a tip was the lest he could do in exchange for the time spent sharing tips with him on how to get the lawn in the condition it is today.

In addition to this, I had another customer come to me Thursday and say, "we have decided to give you a permanent 5% raise for your services effective today" and hands me a check for my fee + 5%!!! The income is substantial on this account, so a 5% raise, mid-year, without me asking????........SWEET!!!!

Also, Monday I had another customer to switch to full service after I made some suggestions about the landscaping and pointed out that it was not being serviced at all, which was making me look bad.

The customer says "I want to go full service with your company. You do a great job taking care of the grass....I want the landscaping to look as nice as the grass, no matter what it costs....just do what you want and whatever it takes.... just send me the bill."

I wish all my weeks turned out this good!

payup payup payup
  2. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I had just the opposite happen to me today. Went to get paid by a client for cutting the grass. Finally caught him and he gave me a check. Now I had broken a window to his garage when I cut the grass, so I told him to take off $50 to cover that. He only took off $25 though which was nice of him. However we got into talking about other work which desparately needs to be done. He pretty much told me right to my face that he wants the cheapest price possible. He said it as "the most work for the least money". I just sent my lawyer an e-mail tonight asking for a waiver to be written up with this guy. The client was funny though. Said that "this account will make you hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years." I can KIND of understand his wanting to be cheap though. Right now he is in the middle of a MASSIVE renovation of a probably 10,000 sq ft house.
  3. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I only get one tip from one customer at Christmas. Nobody else gives a tip. No matter what I do. Some of these are even friends of mine.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

That's sweat Envy

Those customers are GREAT! Treat them well.................

I don't get tips anymore. I do get from the customer to give to the men. And I do........

Do get a couple gifts Xmas time.

When I was younger got paid extra more often. Not today.....:(
  5. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Tip What tips? You lucky with your week. I would just like to have one little tip just one and I get to choose. No you can't guess it...... Oh ok maybe you can.....Yep that little ole lady that leaves a note (along with the check) on the door with 500 other things to do. Great! Nope she wants them for free.

What you say? Free! Yep. No just leave a note back saying this will be such and such price call me if you still want it done.
    Does she call. Not yet but I still do her lawn at 29.50 a week and only taking 20 min minus the extra 10 min during rain season.
    Dang I hate older people that are stuck in the millenium wanting the 1950's pricing.
  6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

What sort of waiver?