Nice to rent .......but not to own

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ConstSvcs, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Renting certain pieces of iron has always been a favorite part of the job. At least the ones with the real heavy price tags that we don't use often.

The 624 made moving fill at our recent project a snap since space was to confined for an dump. What a powerhouse !

624.jpg

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Deere has come a long ways in their loaders. I think they can pretty well now rival Cat and leave Krapmatsu at the dealer.

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

why not go with a trackloader?

4. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

Any more pics of that nice looking loader?

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Have you run a Komatsu loader? They're pretty nice. I was in a WA200-5 at the grounds a few weeks ago, loved it. Compared to a Deere 744H which isn't a slouch machine either, I really liked the Komatsu, size differences aside between the two. I hear the new Deere's are nice, but the H is the newest I've run.

6. ConstSvcs

We move backfill in and around a fairly large foundation and loaded structural fill into tri axles at the same time. We felt this was the right machine for production using one machine and operator.

7. ConstSvcs

Yep......I'l have to find them

8. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

A wheel loader is the better choice over a tracked loader when the soil you are driving on is still hard and dry and it still makes less disturbance and gives a smoother ride than the tracked.

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i agree, he said space was an issue so i was wondering why he opted out of a trackloader that can spin 360...fun looking job, i agree we need more pictures

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The mines have tried Komatsu and they last 1/2 as long as a Cat. One of the mines thought they could save some money running Komatsu wheel loaders guess what they didn't they are back to Cat.

I can't imagine loading trucks quickly with a track loader we have tried a older 2.5 yard trackloader when the backhoe was broke down. It was painfully slow it dug into the piles easier than the 590 backhoe but traveled slower.

You get a person that is good on a wheel loader they can whip around get the truck loaded in no time. If you have a 950-966 size machine then it takes a little longer not like a 980 or 988. Get a 88 with a spade bucket on it goes into a pile scoops up 9-10 yards and drops into the truck.

If the machine isn't tiller steer and has a steering wheel you gotta have a suicide ball on the steering wheel :laugh: