1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Nice try...but no thanks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Dec 27, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

So I went to a dealer today to try and get an sleve insert for the front castor wheel on my WB, because I am trying to get it all up and looking pretty for I can sell it.

Well, the dealer basically tried to tell me that he could only sell my the entire castor wheel set (around $100) and not the insert ($7). I just told him forget it, I will just order it through J-THomas instead.

"In fact, isn't that a J-THomas catolog right behind you on the shelf," I said. "I bet you if you opened up the catalog you could order it seperately."

He just looked at me in shock. Don't dealers realize that we know about J-Thomas or other people to order from.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

I know the feeling, my son cracked the plastic elbow on the 25 hp kawasaki air filter this summer, dealer wanted 90 bucks for the hole deal he stated they would not sell just a part,we glued the hole up with repair for 4 bucks.Life's hard when your dumb.
  3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Troy, sounds like a dealer here who tried to charge me $ 27.00 per blade for standard 16.5" blades. I told him I can get a case of Gators for a little more than that, and walked out.
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

To bad You guys have very poor dealer's, our dealer takes care of us.Yes his prices are higher then j-thomas,but he goes above and beyond for us.Nine out of Ten times,he gets us back warranty repairs In a day.He gives us a pretty good parts discount, on top of taking care of us in many different ways.So we reciprocate and help him out by buying parts from him.I guess a dealer like our's is like gold.
  5. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, same thing here...good dealer support, no major problems since using Exmark, but small stuff is taken care of right-away...Sorry to hear about your local dealer trying to shaft ya, I would keep ordering on-line or J-thomas...
  6. tiedeman

from earth

Lately around here dealer support is horrible. They really don't want to go the extra mile and it seems like they are charging an arm and leg.

So instead I have been going to my buddy who owns the local hardware, and ordering stuff through him. He actually will go out of his way to order stuff for me. Now that is dealer support.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You just have to know the right dealer thats all!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing but good luck for us and OUR dealer:waving:
  8. tiedeman

from earth

I just know that most dealers in the area are back stabbing and try to do things illegally. And then they try to pay you off to shut you up. That is what one dealer did to me. Thank God I do not go to him anymore. That would be stupid
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Dealers suck! spent over 100k in a few yrs with one and he try and screws me over on another deal after the paper work was done. Just went to another dealer. They all want your money but they don't want to see you again till you come back with more money.
  10. tiedeman

from earth

yup, that has happened many times. That is why I don't deal with dealers. They basically always tell you that you are getting a good deal and what "their cost" is. That is what my past dealer would always say, "Well, this is at my cost." Give me a break do you think that I am stupid!?

I remember one time in particular I had to buy an extended pruner from the dealer. I told him that I needed it really bad. He gave me that "my cost" thing and finally said it would be $625. I was like, "Holy cr@p that is a lot." But I told him to order it because I really needed. I wait and wait for it to come in. Nobody called me at all. The funny thing is, I go in their about two weeks later to ask what the heck is taking so long, and I can see the box sitting right there behind the desk. I asked one of the employees, "how long has that been here?" "Oh about a week" they said. I thought fine, I am not even going to inquire about it, I am going to wait and see if he tells me that it is here and I can pick it up. Never says a thing, a couple months go by and what do I see now on the showroom floor marked at $350, my pruner. Amazing how that price came down so much at "His cost"