Nice way to dump a friend?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jnamo, May 23, 2006.

1. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

My partner is helping out a friend of his and we cut his grass. It is a $30 job but we agreed to do it for $25. We'll this guy decides to do the skip a week thing and then we come back and the grass is out of control. We cut it and tell him $35 for that one and he agrees. We also tell him no more skips. Well next week comes and we cut it and he says he is waiting for mom to come home to pay us (Dad is out/divorce and he lives with mom and is 19 or 20). My partner goes by on Sunday to collect and gets a check for $40 bucks from mom and she says thank you. He doesn't say anything 'cause he feels bad for them but I say pay up sucka! Anyway, I know you should never work for friends etc... and now my young partner knows also (a good life experience for him!) I told him to begin with to deal with mom only and keep your buddy out of it but now we are screwed.
    Anyway- does anyone have a good LIE to tell this people to break them off without ruining a friendship. This guys mom is friends with my partners mom and those two guys are great friends and they (mom/friend) don't realize we are trying to run a business here.
    They are a little hard on their luck but they also don't really do much to help themselves out either. You can tell by their yard/house upkeep.
    Before friendships are lost though, we need to cut these folks out...Any good excuses PLEASE???:dizzy:
  2. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

$25,$30,$35,$40 Very confusing:dizzy:

Simply tell your friend that you do not want to work for friends or family. You don't need to lie about anything.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Tell them the price is $xxx per MONTH, every month, you'll be shocked, they'll never call you to skip it again....
  4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds more like he is not really a friend, but someone trying to use frienship to save money while it is costing you money. My best friend asked me how much to plow for him and how much to do his lawn, I politely told him that he couldn't afford me and told him what it would be and told him this is the way I make my living. Our friendship is still great and he does his own lawn and will be shoveling his drive next winter. Bussiness & frienship should always be kept separate because it is a great way to ruin a good friendship.
  5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't even understand what you're writing. Did she pay $40 for the month, two cuts? was that just for the one $35 cut? (plus tax or something)
  6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
  7. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Some one once told me if you can't do a favor knowing you will never get paid for it then don't do it at all. He also said, don't ever loan someone money if you expect to be paid back.
  8. Jnamo

Jnamo LawnSite Member

It should have been a $30/week job. My partner told him $25/week (being nice). We cut it twice and with one week being a skip week (3 weeks, 2 cuts only) and mom gives my partner a check for $40 for the 2 cuts. It should of actually been $75 for 3 cuts but they wanted us to skip a week, then they paid less than agreed upon ( should have been $50 for the 2 cuts we did). I hope this clarifys things a little. As stated in my first post I understand about cutting for friends...I was being optimistic and figured if this goes south at least my young partner will learn a few things! I was just wondering how people let off people like this without hurting feelings or ruining friendships. I personally have never had to do this because I don't work for friends-for money. Like littleriver said-just do favors! Thanks to all that responded-Jeff