Nice ways to address everyday problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robert payer, May 14, 2004.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

I was hoping that we may share some tactful ways of addressing any day to day employee issues of any kind.

Example: If an employee is taking more time than needed to complete a task, you might ask with some humor, "Are you getting married to this here task?"

Another example would be rather than telling an employee that you think his work is sub standard, you might pass it off as less personal by saying "Our customer will not except this. Let me show you again the technique which we use here at our company"

Please share any techniques you have with managing common issues.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I had an 11 inch shoe to address problems with...j/k

You do have good points though

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I beleive that when an employee does a job well, to give him or her a positive comment and show appreciation. When they do something not real good, set your limits. Always let them know what is expected from them.
    We just started using employee handbooks this year. When I hire a new guy, we go over it thoughly. It makes a difference.

4. Nitroman

Nitroman LawnSite Member
    from indiana

A happy worker is a productive worker

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

if I were to address my "employee" problems with a size eleven, I wouldn't be able to sit down for the shoe leather stuck somewhere!

GEO :eek:

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

LOL:D

7. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Re-inforce the positive, and explain the negative, re-inforce the positive again. Works well. I taught the Martial Arts for many years, and we had a slogan or motto we liked to use with the younger students... Praise, Correct, Praise. Tell them what they are doing right, explain what they need to improve on, and tell them what they are doing right again. Never talk down to anyone, shows a lack of self-respect.

8. robert payer

Some times I will joke with empoyee if his wheel barrow is not filled all the way up. I will tell the person with humor:
    "Are you leaving room in that barrow for your hand bag or something?"

9. robert payer

I wish that there was more imput on this tread. Anyone?