Niche in my area.....questions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SprinklerGuy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Okay....bear with me..never done landscape maint. type work before on any sort of scale to speak of.

I live in the mountains of Colorado. I have 2.5 acres of hill/meadow and have been trying to find someone to come cut it. Finally found a guy...I spoke with him a little about his service..he says he mows lots of fields like mine. He showed up today to mow my yard...with a 21 inch self propelled walk behind mower!!!!

I had been considering buying a tow behind trail cutting type mower to do this myself behind my ATV. You know, another excuse to ride the doggone thing right?

This guy is doing this by hand....he is charging me 160 bucks to do about 1.5 acres! Holy crap!

1- Maybe I should go ahead and purchase something to mow my own yard...he is cheap enough, but I would like to do it myself. Should I consider the tow behind type mowers or a tractor and a deck that operates with PTO?

2- Any other suggestions for a mower? ZTR?

I am pretty sure I could get this guy to let me do the yards he is doing....I could give him a cut of it for just getting me the work. I figure I can do an acre in about an hour or less. Keep in mind these are raw fields...not looking for striping or anything...not turfgrass so much as it is just field grass.

thanks in advance.
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

have you ever thought about just getting a homeowners model...with the amount that he is charging after 2 months of mowing you can buy yourself a model for the same price that you pay him
  3. Maybe I should only needs to be cut twice per is in the middle of the mountains and it is a pasture basically. If you don't cut it in spring (now!) the wildlflowers won't show for the wife.....if you don't cut it in fall you can't sled in the snow because it won't pack. Yes, that's right 1.5 acres and it is a sledding hill.

That is why I thought it was funny that he was pushing a mower.

Nobody wants to offer suggestions?