niche

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ztrguy, Jul 8, 2003.

1. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Do you guys have a certain niche?
    Do you focus only on small lawns?
    Do you focus only on big lawns?

I want to focus on small lawns and pass on the bigger properties.

Do you think this will be a problem? Or can it easily be done?

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

ZTR

It depends on the investment you want to make in your business. Larger properties take larger equipment or more people. Just going from small intown properties to more upscale suburban neighborhoods might mean that you have no more use for the 21" mower. I tend to look for work in upscale neighborhoods because they are more likely to have other work along with just mowing the lawn. More bushes to trim, trees to prune, overseeding, fertilization, etc... These folks are very competitive, what one gets the others want. Next thing you know the phone is ringing. Sometimes you get a call from the head of the HOA to do some common ground. But a craftsman is only as good as his or her tools.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I focus on the high-end residential. The people who care about how their largest investment of their life appears and reflects back on them. These are the people that are out to eat in the lawncare industry restaurant that is the steakhouse,...not the hamburger joint. These are the people that know what they want, know what they are getting, and don't mind paying for it because THIS is where they choose to put their money. It is just a priority for them. These are not the "price shoppers", or the people who are simply looking to "get the grass cut".