nickel and dime customers

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jesterslawncare, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jesterslawncare

jesterslawncare LawnSite Member

I have been in business for six years .My customer base is ok,but never wants to spend the big buck.I have a hand full of customers in a high money area but they are constantly nickel and dimeing me and always asking to make payments. They also are always trying to add stuff and not wanting there estimate to go up.On the other hand my other customers some of who are on fixed incomes never hesitate when i give them a price and they always pay me right away.I was thinking about dumping these high end customers this year what should i do.
  2. Blades Lawn Care

Blades Lawn Care LawnSite Member

If the money ain't worth the headache, and you can afford to lose them, I would let them know what you want and if they can't conform to your requests, then drop their account.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Don't let it get to ya. As long as you're getting paid it's not a problem. A smart buisnessman knows how to BS the customers as well as deal with the BS. If you project ignorance people will try to take advantage of you.:cool:
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Don't let them feed you that same old song and dance.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would deal with it and keep them as long as they are paying you! If they are in a high end neighboorhood, chances are they might have high end friends and may recomend you. Also, if you stay in the neighboorhood, you may attract more neighboors. This should save you some time and fuel in driving your truck around in between houses.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Hey...they ain't high-end customers if they ain't spendin' money.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I would keep them as long as they are not direspecting you or treating you like you really NEED there business. Thats just how some people are you just have to be firm with them, Im starting to get alittle firm with my customers, as im getting fed up with all the BS. Im getting tired of charging customers a fair price for my time and equipment on the job only to have them tell me I'm too high. The BOTTOM line is people want us to work for NOTHING!!!!!!! I refuse to, however i do believe there is a fine line between making a good profit and charging too much.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Since you are just starting out I would keep them as well. After you build up a bigger customer base, then cut and pick which ones you want to maintain
  9. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

To run a business correctly learn that some customers cant pay one time payments at once when the amount is high. Start accepting their payments, at least their paying, but don't lower your price.
  10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Jester, it's all about sales and your ability to sell. If the customers pay and you can afford to carry their money, that's ok, but can get you into a lot of trouble. Do you give written estimates for your work, or do you depend on a handshake? If you value your services, then you must make your customers value them and you. Re the problems with lawn care and maintenance or with landscaping jobs? I know the area you are in very well and can understand the issues you are having. Even though you say there is an area with money, it is new money and those people have difficulty in spending it properly. Many may be mortgaged to the max and are just trying to keep appearances up. If you are doing a good job, you need to be paid promptly for your time, effort and materials. Be upfront with your customers, give them written estimates and bill promptly. Just remember, the job is not completed until is is paid for in full.