Nieghbors new retaining wall collapsed.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jimmyzlc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc LawnSite Senior Member

My neighbor across th street had a retaining wall installed over the summer. Yesterday we had a ton of rain on top ofvery wet conditions. About a 20 foot section fell over. Inspecting it i noticed there was no pea gravel behind it. No drainage at the bottom to allow water to escape. Now I am no expert as I have never installed a retaining wall, but don't you have to have these two items behind the wall to prevent just what happened? by the way the wall is about 5 foot high all the way across.

2. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Get some pictures but 5' tall and no drainage, no big surprise.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I cannot believe you posted this without pictures...........

4. jimmyzlc

Pics on the way.

5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Cant wait to see this. I had a customer that had a wall collapse(not mine). She wanted an estimate to fix. It was all clay and the whole hill moved. The wall did have stone behind it. I got the job but had to remove about 100 yds of clay and replace with gravel because it was way too unstable.

6. jimmyzlc

Here you go:

neighbors wall 001.jpg

neighbors wall 002.jpg

neighbors wall 003.jpg

neighbors wall 004.jpg

neighbors wall 005.jpg

7. Green Team Landscaping

Green Team Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh God, thats bad. I would get outta town if I was the guy who built that.... Now a good image for his company.

8. jimmyzlc

There is probably about 50 feet of this wall that will have to be redone. You can't really see it in the first pic, but in the middle of that pic there is a dark spot and from there to the break it is pushed out. Then from the break to end of the wall where it turns in is going to have to be reset.

Then there is the loose dirt problem. This was brought in to fill the hole where the house next to them was. They bought the house and tore it down to make more room.

9. Summit L & D

Summit L & D LawnSite Senior Member

That looks warranty related to me......

I'd also tell your neighbor that the whole wall really needs to be rebuilt, up to code! I can just see the contractor coming back in and fixing the spot that blew out, and leaving her with this situation waiting to reappear.

10. jimmyzlc

Oh! I agree.