Nieghbors new retaining wall collapsed.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jimmyzlc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

yes, there needs to be alot of things behind that wall that the installer missed.

geotextile fabric, i would have done atleast 2 layers on a 5ft wall to be sure.
    gravel drain field atleast 3.5' from the BACK of the wall block.
    and an extensive drain system to name a few...
  2. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

where are u located in central IL, if u dont mind me asking. i am in the bloomington normal area. if it was in my area i would like to do a drive by lol,because that has bad news written all over it. someone didnt use proper drainage. a wall that high, in our area would have to be engineered. looks like no geo grid also bad news.
  3. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

sorry i posted that before reading the post above...looks like he covered most of my thoughts...:usflag:
  4. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

hmm, where is this? I know those buildings in pic 1 and 3. Decatur or Bloomington maybe?
  5. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc LawnSite Senior Member

I live in Pana, IL
  6. Twitchy

Twitchy LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen these situations before. The customer goes w/ the cheaper contractor and pays down the road because the the job was done incorrectly. I fixed a wall last yr that fell do to poor construction. The height of the wall was 5' and tapered down to 2 1/2'. the wall was built w/ no geogrid , drainage, and wasn't tamped behind the clean gravel. The last i heard the customer was still going to court w/ the original contractor for a $15,000 settlement. "Quality Doesn't Cost it Pays"

JLAWNCARE LawnSite Member

here in pa anything over 4' needs an enginer is that the same law there
  8. jimmyzlc

Don't know, I'll have to check that out.
  9. jimmyzlc

Update, talked to my neighbor today. Come to find out they had never installed a wall before. I informed her of the little details they missed. She wants me to help them fix it. I pretty much told her it's going to have to be totally redone. first it's going to have to dry out.

To make matters worse there basement drain backed up and a 10 foot section of a asphalt driveway they had put in sank. What a mess.
  10. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

Well if he soil is that unstable stone and drainage behind the wall may not have helped.