1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Nieghbors new retaining wall collapsed.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jimmyzlc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

the only place I use drainage stone is directly around the drain. I use the concrete sand beyond that point. so instead of filling the whole back of the wall with drainage stone I utilize the concrete sand. I have personally found it to be more stable and yet it still drains well

2. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try and get a few more pics up. The blocks they used where from Lowe's.

3. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if it works for you that is fine I guess for me I wouldn't feel safe using this method since I feel overtime sand will start migrating out or clogging up the drain much faster even using geotex.

4. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

personally i would have used a better block. like a pin system from versa lock to anchor country manor. every wall has its limits and every wall must to constructed for its peak strength

5. btammo

btammo LawnSite Member

Really? I would never use sand of any type behind a wall. I have yet to see any type of sand that would drain enough for my satisfaction. I run stone all the way bottom to top surrounded by fabric.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't even think of using sand directly behind my wall. It's very simple...place a pile of drainage stone next to a pile of sand (whichever kind) wait a week or so before a few rains hit it and then tell me which one has the higher moisture content.

I would also think a place like colorado would have a large amount of freeze/thaw cycles and that wouldn't help the sand behind the wall issue either.

Now that I think about it...(1) for me the drainage stone is WAAYYY cheaper than the sand and (2) to properly compact sand (correct me if I'm wrong) you'd need a jumping jack in addition to the plate compactor.