Nieghbors new retaining wall collapsed.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jimmyzlc, Dec 28, 2008.

1. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

the only place I use drainage stone is directly around the drain. I use the concrete sand beyond that point. so instead of filling the whole back of the wall with drainage stone I utilize the concrete sand. I have personally found it to be more stable and yet it still drains well

2. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try and get a few more pics up. The blocks they used where from Lowe's.

3. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if it works for you that is fine I guess for me I wouldn't feel safe using this method since I feel overtime sand will start migrating out or clogging up the drain much faster even using geotex.

4. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

personally i would have used a better block. like a pin system from versa lock to anchor country manor. every wall has its limits and every wall must to constructed for its peak strength

5. btammo

btammo LawnSite Member

Really? I would never use sand of any type behind a wall. I have yet to see any type of sand that would drain enough for my satisfaction. I run stone all the way bottom to top surrounded by fabric.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I wouldn't even think of using sand directly behind my wall. It's very simple...place a pile of drainage stone next to a pile of sand (whichever kind) wait a week or so before a few rains hit it and then tell me which one has the higher moisture content.

I would also think a place like colorado would have a large amount of freeze/thaw cycles and that wouldn't help the sand behind the wall issue either.

Now that I think about it...(1) for me the drainage stone is WAAYYY cheaper than the sand and (2) to properly compact sand (correct me if I'm wrong) you'd need a jumping jack in addition to the plate compactor.