1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Night Blooming Jasmine grown as a vine

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Anyone have experience with this?

I know its an agressive grower as a shrub so I'm sure not much of a difference but curious anyways....
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

You could trellis it, however how ever I suspect it would be maxed out after 6'
    easy-lift guy

3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Just trimmed one back on a trellis @ over 10 feet last week on a customers property, they can also be trained into a nice standard as well.

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I have a huge one outside my porch area about 10x10 on a sturdy trellis. Love that sweet smell
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Makes me wonder why NBJ isn't used more over Confederate. I know tge Confederate is good for the diamond pattern, but other than that it is a complete mess imo. Only blooms about 2.5 months...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I think mostly because Night Blooming Jasmine is not nearly as cold hardy as Confederate.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO Night Blooming Jasmine is a poor choice for any landscape. The reason is the night bloom smell draws chewing insects. Therefore it requires extra applications especially in the Rainy season when contact pesticides are being washed off. I am not a Tree Hugging Granola Nut, I just try and KISS. I no longer do landscape design. But when I did, I wanted my design to last with the least amount of Maintenance.