Night Mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lombardi, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Curious as to how many others have their equipment set up to mow at night and if so how often do you do so? Below is my John Deere F-935 with two quartz halogen lights attached. They light up the turf very well. I like to mow after dark. Very peaceful and cool.

f-935.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Nice mower even if it is a John Deere... how fast will that thing mow?
    Do the lug tires tear the turf much on tight turns?

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

no lights on my mower, but I love mowing around 8-9 pm when the sun is going down. It's such a relief from the hot, humid long day

4. We have 1 commercial place that we start from @ 4 am due to cars being in the parking lot. (company down time is from 12 to 6 am.)Just so much easier to do that client , i don't have to deal with wind or worry about getting their employees cars dusty plus I get paid an extra $300 because of the odd time they request to have their place worked on.

The worker that actually does it loves it because he gets off by noon time that day. Allows him time to do whatever he pleases. I only go to the place every other time just to check if things are working right.

John

5. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Man use to have three F935's with lights and two 755 tractors. We mowed in the dark about two days a week. BTW my 935's were about 10mph cutting. Like your tires, I just ran the turf tires.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

10mph?!?! I didnt' think they would mow that fast... cool. How'd they ride? Why would you want one of them over a Z (either mid or front mount), are they more comfortable over the course of a long day (or night haha)? Seems to me (a former tractor driver) that it would be alittle less fatigue in the larger more open areas.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Headlights on my mowers is a must. There's plenty on times in the fall tht they are used. I've already used them one time his year on a day we were running late. If I spend 10-13K on a mower,it should have lights already on it.

8. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

FSM,
    Nelbuts is correct. The F-935 can mow at 10 mph if the conditions are right, i.e. wide open area, fairly smooth ground, few trees, etc.
    The tractor lugs will indeed tear up the turf. I used to have the smoother turf tires on, but I was spinning out a lot on hills. The lugs solved that problem. I only use this on large commercial accounts and acreages/estates.
    The ride is very comfortable. I have a Grammer seat that has it's own single shock suspension. You just dial in your weight and sit down. I have to admit though, that after 8-10 hours of mowing, there still is a little bit of a** fatigue.
    The bad thing about mowing after dark is the amount of bugs those lights attract. Then the bats start dive bombing in front of you to eat the bugs.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not to get off the subject here, or anything, but didn't the 935 normally have the green 76" swept spindle deck?

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

What do you mean by "swept spindle deck"? Just curious... I've seen alot of old John Deere's and never once seen a green deck except the newer "commercial" Z's, w/b's and standers.