Nightmare at Ziebart

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GravelyGuy, Sep 11, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I took my truck to Ziebart to get a spray in liner and undercoating put on today. They had it for most of the day and they call me and tell me that it is ready to be picked up. I go to pick it up and the bedliner looks okay, but there is some serious issues with the undercoating. One half of the truck was done with a thick Rhino type lining and the other side was done with a smooth, flat type of cover. They also missed a bunch of obvious spots right under the wheel wells.

I complained and they took it back and fixed it (half a$$). I get it home this evening and once it was dry I went out to try and close my tailgate which I left down on the trip home. It won't close at all. They have screwed the assembly up when they put it back together. I figured they were new at working on this truck so I was not that worried, I just planned on taking back in the morning.

I continued to tinker with the gate and I finally got it to close, but it is not right. It will only open with the key. HERE'S THE REAL KICKER!!! There's a nice 2" scratch on the right side of the tailgate. All the way down to primer. It looks like someone closed the bed with a tool in there hands. I called them, but they were already closed.

I have pictures of the truck were it was new. It is only 7 days old tommorow. I will bring the pic and show them that there were no scratches.

Do you guys think that they will cooperate?:hammerhead:

2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Ziebart undercoating is crap. Also Rhino liner IMO is not great but to each there own and im sure you investigated this before. Anyways I would not let them get away with anything and make sure it gets repaired where YOU want it repaired. If not they will take it to mako and it will be crap.

Cheers
    Jeff

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

If it makes any difference it is Z-Liner, not Rhino. Have you had a bad experience with the undercoat?

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

The undercoating from Ziebart in Canada is some nasty yellow waxy stuff. Doesn't sound exactly like what your described but it is no where near the quality of Krowns undercoating. Never heard of Z-liner. Line-X is what everyone swears by here, lifetime warranty against any chipping, scratching, damaging no questions asked. Its even sprayed on the pentagon! http://www.linex.com

Cheers
    Jeff

5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a line-X in my truck and it is great. The difference between line-X and the rest is they sand down and remove all of the paint before they spray. Most just spray over the painted area.

6. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

They fixed my tailgate and tried to buff the scratch out(they say it was only in the clearcoat). These guys are pathetic. They burned the clearcoat right off my tailgate so I took it to be repainted. I am still waiting on my tailgate emblems which had to be ordered.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know how long it will take this stuff to dry? It was sprayed last Wednesday and there is still wet spots. It is still really wet under the wheel wells where Toyota had some factory spray. Should they have avoided this area? It is like trying to write on plastic with a marker, it just won't dry. Rocks and grass is starting to get all stuck under there.

8. mower&more1986

mower&more1986 LawnSite Senior Member

Well my truck too old and has rust holes in the bed
    I think I'll get the drop in linner cant hurt this truck anymore than time has lol

9. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Nope,
    They scratch the surface here when they spray line x. They don't take off all the paint. I've had 4 done and never had a problem. I have Line x on my 4 wheeler too...lol Great product.

10. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I had my wife's truck at the local Ford dealer last week. While there, I saw a late model Mustang completely coated in blue Line X or Rhino or something. I asked the service manager what in the heck it was. He said: "Some folks have more money than sense." I apologize for not getting a picture. This thing was truly a sight to behold. (sorta like a train wreck...)

btw... Woody Anderson Ford in Huntsville continues to impress me with their great service.