Nightmare Customer

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BW Landscaping, Mar 26, 2007.

1. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

Ok...heres the deal, at the end of the season last year i picked up a new customer to start for this season. I was talking to a friend of mine who is also a landscaper and we were talking shop, and this new customer came up. His expression said it all GET RID OF HER NOW!!!!!! (without even saying a word) He used to be her landscaper. So now my question is i dont like just not showing up, so im thinking of a sort of dear John letter, anyone have any letters to share with me? or have any ideas? (to get rid of her)
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well did he offer an explanation of WHY you should get rid of her?

I'd tend to give it a shot and if she truly is a PITA then you can dump her.
  3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Hell, I would at least see for myself before I went jumping to conclusions. If you didn't pick up on any PITA factors yourself when dealing with her, then maybe those two just didn't have a good business relationship. At the very least, look at it as money in your pocket until she becomes the PITA your friend says she is.
  4. thilawncare

thilawncare LawnSite Member

Offer her a yearly contract with half upfront if she says no then say goodbye... if she agrees collect your upfront money and bill monthly... Money is money man... your doing this to live not to give it away... if she plans on paying then she wont have aproblem.... but if not then its an easy way out...
    Just an opinion....
  5. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

If he never said anything maybe he was just put out that you got one of his customers.
  6. Myk

Myk LawnSite Member

I'm kinda new whats "PITA"?
  7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Pain In The Ass = pita.
    Why should you dump the client if they haven't given you any problems?
    Maybe the pain was due to your friend?
    Just food for thought.
  8. PhillyShells

PhillyShells LawnSite Member

I cant hurt to give it a try... find out for yourself and if it's as bad as he says-
    then say see ya ! I have a couple of accounts that other guys dumped complaining they were problems but I havent had one so far with them.
    Eveybody's different......
  9. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I would give it a try as well and if she does become a problem then just send her a letter stating that you can no longer provide service for her, but at least give it a chance
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You're thinking of dropping this customer because your friend made some facial expressions???? Maybe he was just passing gas... Often there is just a personality clash between the customer and crew, doesn't mean necessarily that she would give you any problems.