Nightmare Lawn!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Victor, May 22, 2003.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll tell you what guys. I did a first cut for a lady who had more obstacles on her lawn than you could ever imagine. It was so bad that I cut almost the whole lawn with my OCDC shut. It seemed like no matter what direction my chute was pointed, there was a flower bed, or tree with mulch around it to look out for. I mean this lady had a bird feeder, a bird bath, a row of 10 pine trees, and decorative boulder, 3 planters, and 2 small trees all in her backyard alone! All of these obstacles had either potting soil beds, or mulch beds around them. On top of that. The house has a ton of flower beds that go all the way around it. To make matters worse. The lawn grew incredibly fast since I gave an initial estimate on it last week. It was incredibly thick too. Since double cutting wouldn't have done me any good, because I'd still have to keep my OCDC shut. I used my blower to blow the clippings into piles. From there I raked up the piles, and put them into trash bags. This whole cut took me 3 %$^# hours total!

When I saw it last week, it had just been cut. The lawn looked horrible. The crew that had cut it, had left a ton of clippings in every one of the flower, and mulch beds. There was about 40 lbs of grass left on the street, and there were mowing tracks going every which way on the lawn. A thick layer of clippings were left on the lawn. I thought that the lawn hadn't been cut for a couple of weeks before that, but I should have known.

The only positive I can think of was that the lawn looked beautiful when I finally got done. I told her last week that I'd cut it today for $35, and let her know what my final price would be after cutting it. I smell an incredibly high bid coming. I don't see how that lawn could be cut efficiently without an ultra vac. I'm sure an ultra vac would make that yard a lot more tolerable to cut. Boy I lost my you know what on that cut today, but I know better now.

Does anyone here have a lawn like this one that has to be bagged in order to keep your sanity?

Vic

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have a couple of those...not fun

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh yeh I have a couple just like you said. I am lucky in the fact that most of the beds have rock in them so it is real easy just to blow the grass out with a blower. I have found that a mulch kit really helps with lawns like these but I use mulch kits only in the summer.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 36,000sf property with approximately 50 pine trees, 6 mulch beds, 10x10 garden and a large pine bark play area to mow around. Does this count?

Oh yeah.. and it has a 40x5 bank that needs to be line trimmed :dizzy:

5. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

I hate obstacle course lawns with a passion. Customers, when looking at their lawns, only see the size of the lawn. They don't look at the fact that for a commercial mower, small places and beds will hinder the process. It seems to me, the older the customer, the more **** they have in their lawns. Honestly, WHAT IS WITH TREES WITH TINY LITTLE MULCH BEDS EVERY TWO FEET FROM EACHOTHER???! Why do people plant things like this. It not only looks bad, but is hard to cut around, for them or for a company. Crazy people, crazy, crazy people.

6. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

That is why I love my UltraVac. I have quite a few small residentials that are easier to just bag and be done with it. I find it alot easier to bag than having to double and triple cut, while trying to avoid getting clippings in the beds, rocks, street etc. etc.

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I run mulching kits and it takes care of these problems. Easy to just run over at top speed too if needed to be double cut.

Funny this thread made me think of my brothers place. He asked me to cut it while they were on vacation last week. Heck, everything I go there he has something else stuck in the ground...hahah

Its like a training ground for learning how to control a Z. :D

At least he does not have many beds!

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Not a problem lawn for me ;)

Ditch the OCDC on this lawn. Invest in a fully baffled mulch kit. It will save you hours of backbreaking work on this account.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I have a few like that. My mother's is one of them. I close the OCDC and run through it a couple of times and then blow off whatever is left.

10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

This lawn grows so fast, and so darn thick, that I'm convinced it would be impossible to mulch. I think you'd still have clump city. I thought mulch kits were only good for cutting grass in the summer, when it's not growing so fast.

Vic