Nightmare on Dollner Street!!!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Mar 28, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Well... yesterday was a PITA Monday. One of those days when I shoulda just stayed in bed. Started replacing an old 3" brass valve located in the skinned area of a baseball field and it turned into one of those repair projects where absolutely NOTHING goes right from the very beginning.

First, I can't use the Bobcat backhoe because of the area and have to hand dig the whole thing. I also have to scrape off the clay/cinder mixture and keep it separate from the other soil so it can be spread back on top. And I can't leave the hole just ply-boarded up because of practices after school. So I have to get the whole thing done in the one day but this shouldn't be too bad because "been there, done that" many times before. WRONG!

Picture #1: Picture I posted before showing the relationship of the valve on the field. Left valve is the one I'm going to replace.

Picture #2: Note the angle the brass valve is in. Now imagine what's going through my mind as I have to replace this with a valve that won't really match up. I can't just spin the valve off even though I do have big honkin' pipe wrenches available. Look at all the rust! I use penetrating oil and nothing budges except the PVC main line below. Damn... gonna snap something if I keep at it and it will most likely be the main line tee.

Picture #3: Discover that the rusted galvanized 90 is attached to the main line via a male adapter. Decided to dig a bigger hole and just spin off the entire contraption. So far, so good and I plugged the MA with an adjustable plug seen here. Only thing is that the area stays a little wet but I just figure it's from removing the valve and expelling water from the main since it's kinda a low spot. I should of listened to my instincts!!!

Picture #4: Take the plug out, spin on a new galvanized 90 (couldn't get a threaded PVC 90), spin in an MA and then glue a new 3" Irritrol valve into the MA. Put my shovel on the end while the glue sets up and then pump out the water you see in the hole. Waited some time and noticed that water was dribbling around the MA coming out of the main. Damn!!!!! MA must of cracked when I was spinning off the old valve because there's a constant dribble of water coming out where the threads meet the collar.

Had enough for the day!!! Put a valve box over the valve, backfilled the hole and then spread the clay/cinder topping so all is reasonably well to play baseball on. Will wait for rain of today to go away, dig the dang thing back up and Dresser in a new tee onto the main line and reset the valve.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :dizzy:

Divisadero Valve A-18 Repair IV-01a.jpg

Divisadero Valve A-18 Repair IV-02.jpg

Divisadero Valve A-18 Repair IV-03.jpg

Divisadero Valve A-18 Repair IV-04.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Fun fun.

Is the male adapter fitting to fitting with the mainline tee?

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I love your pics Purp!

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

There's NOTHING more maddening than having to fix something TWICE!!! Let alone the fact that you had to even fill it all back in and now have to dig it all back up again tomorrow. Well, it will be easier diggin the second time around!

If nothing else the leak will allow you to do your magic and reinstall it RIGHT, minus the hokey galvinized elbow, lol

5. PurpHaze

Yup... no space to cut it off. I also thought about cutting off just the MA lengthwise and peeling it off the stub coming out of the tee but by the time I carefully do that I can Dresser in a new tee and be done with it. Besides, there's no guarantee it won't crack or something else gets screwed up.

6. PurpHaze

Garwsh... gee wiz, thanks. :waving:

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Got a Rambit?

you could drill the stub out of the tee in a few minutes.

8. PurpHaze

Yeah... that's true. I'm also considering putting in a 2" valve instead of a 3" valve and then making the short connection back onto the 3" lateral with just 2". Much easier and really won't lose much over such a short run. I was going to 90/90 the 3" back onto the lateral anyway since the angle of the lateral will not match up. I'll play it by ear and trust my instincts this time. :laugh:

9. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

sorry to hear about your day....

i had one of those days yesterday...
    should have nevr gotten out of bed.....

10. PurpHaze

Thanks. It's stopped raining so looks like I'll try it again today.

Sorry to hear that also. Today WILL be better.