Nightscaping...

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by ELumin8, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ELumin8

ELumin8 LawnSite Member

I will stir the pot here...I intend to defend an elderly lady who is busting her back to turn Nightscaping around.

Consider the situation, uncle Bill passes away and the leader & captain is gone. Sales drop due to bad management, dishonesty, bad press, economic conditions. Other manufacturers see this as a time to strike. Loyal Nightscaping contractors and distributors start an exodus and sales erode.

So what of Nightscaping? What of Bill's wife? What of the Hand crafted in America for over 50 years? Should we care, or just get excited in the gossip?

This year I have installed more Nightscaping than ever! I plan to increase that out of respect for an elderly lady who is trying to make something work and I will commend her for that by using her products. Why don't some of you guys join me. Let's give back what we know Bill would give to any one of us.
    :usflag::usflag::usflag::usflag:

2. SPEEDSKI

SPEEDSKI LawnSite Member
    from TN

I like that idea!

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

If only it was that simple...

4. sprinklerchris

sprinklerchris LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

Elderly lady needs to find a buyer for the company while there's still something left to sell. Time's a wastin.

5. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

I just don't see an elderly lady being able to keep a lighting manufacturer innovative and progressive in such a competitive market. So this lady inherited this business from her deceased husband (a great, innovative businessman). What exactly does she know about the business?
    From an outsider looking in, it appears that she is not a good fit and needs to consider bringing in some new blood with experience in this:usflag: industry.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

While I am touched by a an american kind of story, and I installed hundreds of Nightscaping fixtures and transformers in the somewhat distant past, I agree with James it is not that simple. I can't really tell my customers I buy product from a company because I am trying to help a particular company make a go of it. They really expect me to use the best products and the best methods, and at the same time provide a value for that at a certain price.

I still love the look of some of nightscaping fixtures, but neither of my local distributors sell or do warranty service on the product line. sorry.

7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry brother, but this sounds like obummers philosophy for keeping GM around. (we all know how that is working out), Sometimes, you just have to let business take its course, even if that means collapse. The smartest and most innovative businesses will always survive, thrive and stay ahead of the curve. Isn't that the philosophy we take with our business when we compare ourselves with the local competition?

8. ELumin8

ELumin8 LawnSite Member

Nightscaping Welcomes Our New CEO!

Nightscaping®, the originator of the 12 volt lighting industry, announces new leadership with the hiring of Richard (Rick) A. Henninger of Corona, CA. as their new CEO.

Rick is a Senior Executive with 25 years of expertise in P & L, Sales, Marketing, Customer Service, Estimating/bidding, Administration, Strategic Planning, H/R and Safety. He is a Team oriented executive with an entrepreneurial management style that he has successfully applied in a wide variety of environments, ranging from high growth startup companies to divisional management for Fortune 50 Corporations. Rick has managed a direct sales force in Europe and Asia, as well as in U.S. He has outstanding communication and presentation skills; and has the ability to attract and retain top quality Sales & Customer Service teams, yielding uncommon loyalty and team spirit. He has a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Redlands, in Redlands, California.

9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

great ! instructions for Rick to save nightscaping-

figure out a way to build the perfect heavy mr-16 bullet that uses both halogen and led retrofits. perfectly sealed, shrouded, with an awesome socket. alas, it must be priced competitively or folks won't buy. Don't re-invent the wheel, take a good light out there being manufactured already and make it perfect. we could start a list here of wants and wishes. This light is the most important thing you could do. every lighting guy uses hundreds if not thousands per year.

next do the same with a pathlight.

and a puck light.

and your transformer line.

and once you make a product that is better that your competition, at a reasonable price, you will find that folks will line up buy your products again.

and yes, at some point you need to get rid of the product in your line that does not work well or uses bulbs from 1978.

it really is that simple.

10. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Point well taken.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...